DVD-RAM fails

Retrospect Workgroup Backup 5.0205 in OS X 10.2 begins to backup to my mounted internal DVD-RAM drive (ATAPI DVD-RAM LF-D211A by Matshita) by erasing the disc but it always fails, unmounting the disc and asking for a new disc. I get the same behavior using two different G4 powermacs (e.g., gigabit ethernet, 2X500 MHz, loads of RAM). The DVD-RAM works normally in all other ways including version 4.3. What's the problem?

steve

I am having the same problem with my DVD-RAM drive which worked fine with Retrospect 4.x and 5.0 up until OS X 10.1.5. Now with OS X 10.2, it sits at "erasing" and never gets to the next step. Eventually it times out with an error: "Couldn't erase disk, error 205 (lost access to storage medium)."

This drive is supposedly qualified. My driver update and Express versions are up to date.

Please let me know if this drive is ever going to be requalified for OS X 10.2 with Express (it's still listed on the compatibility database as "qualified") or will I be holding my breath while I'm waiting for my QueFire 12x10x32 with TEAC mechanism to make the cut (it's been years). I don't have anything else to back up to.

At this time, there are known issues with Jaguar and removable disks. We will be releasing an update for full Jaguar compatibility, but presently there are problems with removable disks under 10.2 (not just in Retrospect).

Dantz updates will be posted to the update page at:

http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html

We'll also be sure to notify the forum as well as soon as the update's available!

• 3 weeks later...

Dear IrenaS,

Sorry but even with the new update 5.0.236 this problem still occurs for me. I have the same configuration as the original poster. Was this problem supposed to have been taken care of in this update?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, we are just about to move up to OSX 10.2 & Retrospect. We have the older AGP G4 and the older 1st generation DVD-RAM (2.6GB/side). Does anyone here know if upgrading our DVD-RAM drive to the newer one found in the Gigabit G4 (4.7GB/side) would offer any performance benefits apart from the obvious doubling in size. Our first generation DVD-RAM is PAINFULLY slow, so we would consider upgrading it if there was any speed increase. We'll wait on the upgrade for compatibility with Retrospect as well.

Thanks!

I have a Matshita DVD-RAM LF-D310 (in a LaCie 1394 DVD-RAM + DVD-R) which worked reasonably well under 10.1.5 and stopped working under 10.2.2 with the same problem described in previous posts in this thread. I also changed machines from a Power Mac G3 266MHz with an Orange Micro Firewire card to a Power Mac G4 867MHz dual processor. I intstalled the 5.0.238 update of Retrospect and have seen no improvement in results.

The drive works fine from the desktop and I have no problems erasing and partitioning it from Disk Utility.

I believe that the manual says that all desktop-mountable DVD_RAM drives would work with Retrospect when I use the "Removeable Media" type of backup.

• 1 year later...

A year later and DVD-RAM still doesn't work reliably. I have an older Dual 500 MHz G4 with Matshita DVD-RAM. Backing up under OS 9 worked well. But Retrospect 5.0.238 under Mac OS 10.2.8 does not.

Retrospect frequently fails to see the disks. Today I backed up 13 Gb onto 7 disks (sides), taking 9 hours! I had to terminate and restart Retrospect 4 times as it failed 4 times to recognize a new empty disk. Sometimes restarting Retrospect with an empty disk mounted on the desktop doesn't help. At least once I rebooted the machine.

Why does it work only occasionally? What can I do to make it work consistently?

Lars - frustrated

Archived