Clarification w/ Retro 6.1 & snow leopold

Currently we have a lot of old equipment.

My Retro server is a Graphite accelerated to 1.6ghz., running OSX 10.4.11, backing up to a RAID 51 configured HD system (3TB native/ea RAID).

Most of the Mac Clients are G4s or G5s running 10.4.11 too, and so far this has worked well.

However, we just ordered replacement Mac Minis for the clients, and these will come with 10.6.?. I can/will install rosetta. So that will not be an issue.

My question is :

on the client, can I run 6.1.x client and expect to get the user directory(ies) correctly copied? I dont care about restoration of an 'operational system', or the applications as both are easily replaced.

Alternatively, if the above configuration is ill advised, will/does Retrospect 8.? server run on a G4 and OS 10.4.11? If not what is the least hardware OS configuration for Retro server 8?

Along the same lines what is the the real world stability and usability of Retro 8 (release version and beta), and what is the expected future support/state of Retro now that Roxio is the current owner? I know EMS didnt do Retro any favors.

Thanks!

You need to use 8.2 which is a free upgrade from 8.1 to backup 10.6 clients. The 8.2 beta is a very stable build and I would not even install 8.1 since this was almost as buggy as Windows Vista.

The console will run on your configuration but the engine will not which is what does all the work. The minimum specs for the engine is Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4 with 2GB RAM running 10.5.8

Edited by Guest

OK -

sorry for being dense :)

If I update the OS on the current Retro server (to 10.5), it will run v8.x and ver 8.x is required for snow leopold backup on the Minis.

Im assuming my existing Backup set is NOT forward compatible (Ie I have to start a new backup set with v8).

Are the File selectors I have setup in v6 forward compatible with v8? - do I have to recreate them in v8 or will they 'just work'?

Thanks again

Yes to the first statement if the machine is a Dual G4.

8.2 Beta can actually read and re-build v6 backup sets so you won't have to create new backup sets.

Currently 8.2 does not have the capability to read v6 configuration files so you will have to recreate your rules, scripts, and clients.

The console will run on your configuration but the engine will not which is what does all the work. The minimum specs for the engine is Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4 with 2GB RAM running 10.5.8

This statement was reversed so it should be: The engine will run on your configuration but the console will not. The minimum specs for the console is PowerPC G4 with 1GB RAM running 10.5.5

You can find the full requirements here.

Edited by Guest