remotely install client

Please define remotely. :)

If you have RDP-access to a client and have the right credentials you can remotely install the Retrospect client.

However if you want to use that remote client the question is what kind of network-medium you will be using to transport the data from the remote to the Retrospect server. If it's the Internet you better create a VPN-tunnel between them. And in most cases, depending on the specifications of this connection, it can be quite slow.

As far as I know, it's standard not possible to preconfigure the client. But I suspect it can be done if you know how.

Edited by Guest
Added last line.

As far as I know Retrospect does not have a "Push Client" facility as found in some other products. The client is a standard executable which needs to be run on the client.

You can generate private keys instead of using a password, and you can then use SMS or a group policy as described in the manual under Networked Clients > Installing Clients.

Once installed there IS a push update facility accessible from the Configure > Clients function.

Yeah, although from memory you have to update ALL the clients at the same time on your network using that function, which will then re-register with Retrospect Server forcing you to rebuild all your groups and scripts again. i.e. you can't do a group at a time. That was an 'interesting' suprise when I tried to upgrade my clients to 7.7...

I'm amazed there still isn't a sound mechanism for network deploying the client into a machine via a Group Policy (for example).

Each time we have a new machine on our network just about all software is automatically deployed, leaving Retrospect Client. The key is copied over via Group Policy so at least the client registers with Retrospect automatically once it is manually installed.

Rich

Edited by Guest