a program running on this computer is trying to display a message

Running Retro Client 7.7.06 on Win 7 x64.

I get the message as in the Subject line, when the Client wants to display the countdown to backup, or it is finished, etc. Is there any way to bypass this so the countdown/completed/etc dialog just displays? Thanks for any assistance.

You can turn off the notifications about a successful backup from the client itself under the preferences tab, as for the countdown that will be from the options of the proactive script itself. Under options more choices, then countdown you can set it to 0. With the UAC that was implemented in Vista and 7 when Retrospect goes to display a message the OS is putting the message into it's own session, at some point we will change how we display the message so that it will no longer do this.

Not really no, to stop getting the pop up messages you would have to turn off and disable the Interactive services detection service which you probably don't want to do. The user will still not see the notifications however, there is no work around to have the notifications come up normally.

Personally I think client/user popups from Retrospect are not really needed anyway. It's the system engineer/admin's job to look at Retrospect's backup log to determine if everything went well. Just my personal opinion. Other situations might be different.

I find the countdown notifications helpful. For example, if a colleague is in a meeting on his laptop demoing our software he has the opportunity to cancel the backup.

If no notification were given his laptop would be thrashed to death, making the demo clunky.

Of course, the user could just turn off Retrospect, but then he'd never turn it back on again!

It's a touch poor that after all these years of Vista (Jan 2007) and now Win7 that it is still not capable of displaying a message to the user like any other tool can on my machine..

Rich

Edited by Guest