RS Client fallen over and Event 2000 flood

Hey, I'm not sure if these are related, but the exchange server backup failed over the weekend.

I tried rebooting the RS Client service but now I'm getting Event Flooding (Event 2000) errors saying "The server's call to a system service failed unexpectedly." which for the life of me I can't stop from happening.

RDP sessions just come up with the blank screen and in the process of rebooting the server it's now saying "Saving your settings" and has been for an 2-3 hour or so now.

The weird thing I can run taskkill against the RS client process, Windows confirms it has been shut down, yet which I list the processes out - it's still there!

Everything else seems to be working OK on the machine, so all I can think is the RS Service is trying to do something and throwing 30+ Events a second.

It's now in limbo world between alive and shutting down, although doesn't seem to be doing much of the latter - Exchange is still working fine, but I can't access the desktop and the RS client service is 'stuck'.

Any ideas?

My next thought is just shutting down the Exchange services manually one by one and then, if need be, turn the box off by holding the power button. I don't like doing things like that where Exchange is concerned though!

Rich

Edited by Guest

I should say this is a Win2k3 Server box with Exchange 2003 on it. After trying to run the shutdown command remotely I get:

"192.xxx.x.xx: The computer is processing another action and thus cannot be shutdown. Wait until the computer has finished its action, and then try again.(21)"

This action I believe is the RS Client service hanging

Rich

Edited by Guest

Have you tried killing the processes through the task manager because I have found sometimes this is the only way to kill a hung process? Once you kill all hung processes see if Windows will shut down. After restarting see if you can get to client again. If windows will not shut down even after killing processes then your only real option is to turn off the servers manually.

Hi Daniels thanks for your response. I can't get onto the desktop or RDP on to it to see the Task Manager, although the taskkill command should do much the same thing (via command prompt).

I killed off a few other unneccesary processes using the command and they stayed killed, so I suspect this odd pcpds.exe behavior is what's causing this 'Event storm'.

Richard

Right sorted now. Tried to stop the services nicely but they were all 'stopping' and froze - behind the RS client service I guess.

Had to close my eyes and pull the power in the end, so I've aged about 10 years today alone!

Came up fine though.. phew.

Never seen RS Client do this before so I'm assuming it must be a 'freak' incident...

Rich