Error -505 (Backup Client reserved)

Running Retrospect 7.6 and have seen this twice now in the past two weeks. Most of what I could find on the internet is reboot the client and it will take care of the error. I have had this happen on the same server being backed up twice. It's an MS Exchange 2007 Cluster and the server is one of our Mailbox servers. I can move the cluster group and reboot the server and then move the cluster group back and the next backup seems to work. There has to be a better fix than this.

I don't see this as a long term solution. What is causing this error and how can I fix it permanently. What is a reserved client anyway :question:

A reserved client means that another process is using the client and Retrospect can not access the client. I see this occasionally when my two Retrospect systems overlap on a shared client.

I would make sure that nothing is accessing the client during the backups and see if the error goes away. If there are no other backup systems going I would also make sure that you schedule defrags, chkdsks, etc. for after the backup is complete.

I see this all the time on a few of our linux clients (Ubuntu). Every week I restart the rcl application again which clears the fault.

Seems to go into this state pretty much after every backup though - which is annoying.

Only see this on Linux clients (which are in a VM ESXi environment).

Reatarting the service on a Windows machine should being the RS Client back to life in your instance..

Rich

Edited by Guest

******@****ubuntusvr03:~$ /etc/init.d/rcl status

Server "Ubuntu Server 3":

Version 7.6.100

reserved by ****BACKUP01 for Daily General Servers > NAS

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

1 connections, 1 authenticated

After a quick service restart...

*******@****ubuntusvr03:~$ /etc/init.d/rcl stop

Client stopped

*******@****ubuntusvr03:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/rcl start

[sudo] password for *******:

*******@****ubuntusvr03:~$ /etc/init.d/rcl status

Version 7.6.100

back up according to normal schedule

currently on

readonly is off

exclude is off

0 connections, 0 authenticated

*******@****ubuntusvr03:~$

RS logs how this:

Can't access backup client Ubuntu Server 3, error -505 ( backup client reserved)

Edited by Guest