Backing up mapped network drives?

andyarf

I'm running Retrospect Professional 7.7 on Windows 7 and I can't back up any networked drives that are mapped to a drive letter.

If I map a network share to a drive letter, it simply doesn't show up in Volumes dialogue. Only local drives show up.

I am able to access shares by navigating to them through "My Network" but not via the mapped drive letter.

Does anybody know a way around this? I have a particular need to back up one particular machine via drive letter (don't ask!).

Any help much appreciated!

Andy

Does anybody know why Retrospect cannot see mapped network drives? Is this a bug or a design feature? Has anybody officially asked the Retrospect team why this is the case?

The piece of kit I'm connecting to can ONLY be mounted as a mapped drive. Using "My Networks" does not work for us in this particular case (I can explain the gory details if anybody cares).

Thanks, Andy

You need to setup the volume as a Network Location. To do this open Computer and right click on the window and choose "Add a Network Location" from the menu. This will open the Add Network Location Wizard. Follow the wizard and once finished Retrospect should see the volume which you should be able add under volumes.

I'm afraid this still doesn't help me as it requires me to browse to the network share. For my application I *absolutely have* to backup via the mapped drive letter. This is because of a unique property of the system I am backing up.

So my question is simply: Is this impossible? Has it ever been addressed before? Does anybody have any idea why Retrospect doesn't show mapped drive letters in the Volumes dialogue. Thanks!