Error -1001 (Unknown Windows OS error)

Hello folks!

My copy of Retrospect is having trouble finding the drives I want to save to. I'm using Retrospect to back up to a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, that is a raid box of 4 large hard drives. It's pretty standard; windows basically treats it like an external hard-drive, as far as I can tell.

The problem is, my Proactive Backups set never gets past the "waiting for media" stage (we're at 4 days of waiting for media, and counting). When I try to create a new backup set, and I go to select the ReadyNAS unit over the network, I get an error that says "error scanning network error -1001 (unknown Windows OS error).

I can not browse to the ReadyNAS unit, nor can I enter the network path directly. Both of those give errors. On the other hand, I can go to start->run and type in the network path, and it comes right up, and I can browse through My Network Places to the directory in question. I've re-tired several times, just to make sure that I'm not mis-typing something, and the same network path that works perfectly in start->Run, fails with that message in Retrospect.

I've tried closing and opening Retrospect, rebooting the machine running Retrospect, rebooting the ReadyNAS unit, and doing all of those things in conjunction, but none of that seemed to help.

I'm running Retrospect Multi-Server v 7.6.123, with Driver Update/Hotfix 7.6.2.101. For addons, we have SQL and Open File backup. We actually just installed Open File backup recently, a little before this problem started occuring. I'm pretty sure it's unrelated though, as we did have at least one successful backup before it lost track of the drives.

Can anyone help me with this? My boss is the one who usually babysits this machine, but she's out of town until the middle of next week. I've been poking around the internet trying to find a solution to this problem; I found a thread or two on here (from like 2006), but they didn't have any resolutions. My search-fu is weak, though, so if anyone else has run into this problem and solved it, I would be so very grateful for some help!

Thanks very much for reading all that! I appreciate your time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I did end up solving this problem (a day or so after I posted, in fact), but I totally forgot to post a follow-up.

In Retrospect -> Configure -> Preferences -> Execution -> Security, there's an option "Always log on to Retrospect as the specified user".

My office recently migrated to a new domain. When we did this, the old login information all stayed the same, just the domain architecture changed. For the most part this wasn't a big deal, but we forgot about this setting. It turns out when a user, OldDomain/backups (for example), tries to log on to a computer located on NewDomain, it doesn't quite work properly. I was able to browse to the target computer, because the server running Retrospect was a member of NewDomain, but because the Retrospect options still had me trying to do everything as a member of OldDomain, I couldn't connect to anything. Now where's that headdesk emoticon...

Everything is running great now, just thought I'd post this as one more potential resolution for people who are running in to this particular problem.

I see. Thanks for posting the solution.

(You never mentioned it has worked before and now suddenly stopped working. To me it sounded as the ReadyNAS was new and never had worked. But then again, there was nothing in your post really suggesting it was new either, so I jumped to conclusions...)