Mac10.5 retrospect 6 server and 10.5 and 10.6 clients to backup

Hi,

we are currently using Retrospect 6 server on an Xserve 10,5 to backup our clients all on 10.5.

We expect to add 10.6 computers to our lan. we will have 10.5 and 10.6 clients to backup.(backup of user file only)

Witch version of retrospect client should we use on our 10.6 computers ?

Should we upgrade to retrospect server 8 on our Xserve still on 10.5 ? i read that there was issues with this.

Thanks for help.

André

we are currently using Retrospect 6 server on an Xserve 10,5 to backup our clients all on 10.5.

We expect to add 10.6 computers to our lan. we will have 10.5 and 10.6 clients to backup.(backup of user file only)

Witch version of retrospect client should we use on our 10.6 computers ?

Your question should not be about what version of the Retrospect client, but instead about what version of Retrospect.

Retrospect 6.1.x is not supported for use with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x). See the Retrospect Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

Should we upgrade to retrospect server 8 on our Xserve still on 10.5 ?

Yes.

i read that there was issues with this.

Well, there are MANY issues with the currently-released Retrospect 8.1 product.

However, the Retrospect 8.2 Beta (currently, Beta 1) is quite good. The warning in the Retrospect 8.2 Beta Read Me about using Retrospect 8.2 on Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard) is primarily if you are upgrading from Retrospect 8.1. Because you will be starting from scratch if you move to Retrospect 8.2 now, you shouldn't see those issues. However, you cannot import the scripts, settings, etc., from Retrospect 6.1, and the user interface is VERY different. It takes a brain transplant to get used to the new interface.

If you have problems, post in the Retrospect 8.2 Beta forum, and we'll try to help. Be sure to read the Retrospect 8.2 Users Guide, the Getting Started Guide, and the Read Me for the Beta before starting.

Right now, if you are using Retrospect 6.1.x, the biggest thing that you will miss is external scripting, which is not yet present in the Retrospect 8.1 release or 8.2 product. That presents problems when trying to back up an always-up server, but there are workarounds.

Russ