restored mac files no creator code

disbellj

Retrospect 6.0 running on Win XP restores Mac files, but I can't tell what

kind/type of file the restored files are, cause the creator code is stripped

from the file, and the icon on the Mac shows that the Mac recognizes the

file as a PC file. How can I restore backed up Mac files/folders to the Mac

and them show up as being Mac (where I can open one in Quark cause it

recognizes it as a Quark file with a Quark icon)?

You will need to use the Retrospect Client software for this to work properly. Retrospect does not support backing up Macintosh files on a Windows box across a PC MACLAN connection.

When backing up files on a Windows machine, Retrospect treats all files as Windows files - which do not contain creator codes. Using the Retrospect Client software, which makes a direct connection to the client rather then depending on PC MACLAN, will allow you to properly backup and restore Macintosh files.

The Professional version comes with 2 client licenses. You will need to "log in" the clients in order to access them in this manner. For more on networking and client backup, please see Chapter 6 in your User's Guide.

ok. I have now made sure i am connecting to mac1 listed under client in retrospect 6, not mac1 listed under network in retrospect. i can now also restore to that mac1 client, and the files come out with their type and creator and icon looking right. thank you. now i have another question, when i go to do a restore by 'find files", i click "search", and enter the job #, and it finds the job # i'm looking for to restore (it says 276MB), but when i select "files chosen", the MB goes back to 0, and it loses the files I searched for. Why doesn't it give me a list of found files & folders with that job# so that i can select just part to restore without restoring the whole job? i believe it should do this, but it's not. do i need to do a re-install of retrospect 6?

In reply to:

i can now also restore to that mac1 client, and the files come out with their type and creator and icon looking right. thank you. now i have another question, when i go to do a restore by 'find files", i click "search", and enter the job #, and it finds the job # i'm looking for to restore (it says 276MB), but when i select "files chosen", the MB goes back to 0, and it loses the files I searched for. Why doesn't it give me a list of found files & folders with that job# so that i can select just part to restore without restoring the whole job?

This is a known issue when restoring to a Macintosh client that we are working on. As a workaround you can select a local volume as the restore destination then switch to the client destination and run the restore without selecting 'Files Chosen'. You can also use the "Selected Files" rather then the "Find" option.

In Reply To:

This is a known issue when restoring to a Macintosh client that we are working on. As a workaround you can select a local volume as the restore destination then switch to the client destination and run the restore without selecting 'Files Chosen'.

Is the known issue expected to be worked out soon? Will the update be free? In the workaround you suggest, what is the point in choosing the destination twice? When I select to restore to the C drive on the WinXp machine, select files chosen and choose just the files I want to restore (not the whole job), then select to restore to the Mac Client instead, retrospect gives me the message:

"Really proceed with the search? Your manual file selections will be lost."

(So, in essence, it reverts to picking up the whole job, not just the selected files within that job).

Archived