New Install -- No Backups Run

I've just installed version 8.1 (build 626) will all the most-recent updates on OS X server 10.6.3, running on a Mac Mini with 4GB ram connected to an external 4x2TB SmartStor RAID.

No problem finding the network (sources) clients.

No problem creating media sets on the SmartStor RAID.

But no backups run, either scheduled, scheduled & hit "run," or via "Backup Assistant" and hitting "Start Now" at the end of the process.

This happens with:

Attempts to backup a network client to the RAID

Attempts to backup a network client to an onboard HD

Attempts to backup an onboard HD to RAID

Attempts to backup an onboard HD to another onboard HD

The new script appears in the "Scripts" window each time I attempt to start a back up, but never appears in the "running," "waiting," "past," or "scheduled" windows of the Activities list.

If I click the script, and hit the "Run" button, a dialog appears asking for "Back up to which media set?" The single option contains the media set I defined, but with "0" members indicated in the far-right column (in the Media Sets section, I can see all have the members I defined).

When I view the "sources" list, the drive I intended to back-up is visible and has a clock icon with a status of "ready," but as described above, no backups run... even when forcing via "Run."

I've followed the directions for increasing the logging-level in the "retro.ini" file, and there doesn't appear to be any log data that would indicate a reason for this non-functioning issue.

However, other actions such as verify attempts do appear in the activity log.

edit to add...

The client shows "Ready," and this issue happens on both password and public key authentication.

Edited by Guest

These forums are user-to-user support, and are not the way to contact official Retrospect support.

These forums are referenced on page 246 of the User Guide as a place to receive support. However, I didn't so much expect to receive official support here, and the query you quoted was more user-frustration over not receiving a response from the "official" support email address in nearly 48 hours.

Edited by Guest

Called the number found deep in that link...

Got a number to call at Roxio...

Called that number... got inside sales...

Got another number to call for support...

That number had a message to access selfeserve.roxio.com for support...

Went there, registered, no option for support on Retrospect.

These forums are user-to-user support' date=' and are not the way to contact official Retrospect support.[/quote']

These forums are referenced on page 246 of the User Guide as a place to receive support. However, I didn't so much expect to receive official support here, and the query you quoted was more user-frustration over not receiving a response from the "official" support email address in nearly 48 hours.

I'm sorry that you are frustrated, but these truly are user-to-user support forums. We are just Retrospect users like you are. If you read page 246 of the User Guide, which you cited, you will see that it mentions that these are "user forums". Here is a link to the Forum Rules:

Retrospect Forum Rules / Terms of Use

which state, in pertinent part:

This forum is a [color:red]community based self help tool[/color] for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products.

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

The Retrospect group was just sold two weeks ago to Roxio / Sonic Solutions. I suspect that there is a bit of upheaval going on as the telephone numbers, personnel, etc., change.

I would try to answer your question but I don't have your particular configuration. That's why I provided the support contact link.

Russ

call 888-777-5664 to get directly to tech support.

We are open 6am to 3 pacific time. Roxio support resources for Retrospect are still in flux and will be coming soon. For now the number above will get you help.

Edited by Guest

No problem creating media sets on the SmartStor RAID

You don't create a Media Set on a volume. A Media Set is the combination of the Catalog file and the associated Members of backup media (tapes, disks, etc).

For a Disk Media Set, you create the Media Set (saving the Catalog wherever it is convenient) and then ADD a MEMBER; the Member can be a volume such as a RAID.

Attempts to backup an onboard HD to RAID

Attempts to backup an onboard HD to another onboard HD

snip

The single option contains the media set I defined,

If you tried two different storage destinations, how is it you "defined" only one Media Set? Were you removing/adding Members as part of your testing?

with "0" members indicated in the far-right column (in the Media Sets section, I can see all have the members I defined).

If Retrospect is not seeing the Member(s) of your Disk Media Set(s) correctly, then that would explain why it's not backing up (although would not explain why it's not seeing the member(s)).

First, omit the whole Client thing and focus on the local Source.

Next, please describe your configuration more completely; are you working with a Disk Media Set? Did you add more then one Member to that set?

If you create a File Media Set and store that on the same RAID, does the program backup to it?

Are you running the Console application on the same Macintosh that's running the Engine?

And lastly, did you mount the SmartStor RAID volume as a Finder user before, during or after you added it to the Retrospect Source list or tried to use it as a Member of a Disk Media Set?

You don't create a Media Set on a volume.

For the sake of brevity, I explained it in a manner that didn't contain the precise nomenclature for which you're apparently accustomed.

Yes. The media sets are created, with a RAID volume defined as a member.

If you tried two different storage destinations, how is it you "defined" only one Media Set?

My original posting specified media sets, plural.

If Retrospect is not seeing the Member(s) of your Disk Media Set(s) correctly, then that would explain why it's not backing up (although would not explain why it's not seeing the member(s)).

Indeed. Via the "Media Sets" section of the Console, I can see each member properly defined, and can verify the member of each media set without difficulty.

Next, please describe your configuration more completely; are you working with a Disk Media Set? Did you add more then one Member to that set?

Since my members are a RAID volume, yes, a disk media set.

One member. Although I also tried two. And also tried one non-RAID member.

If you create a File Media Set and store that on the same RAID, does the program backup to it?

No.

Since the RetroEngine doesn't show up in the Mac OS X Activity Monitor, my assumption is that there is some core problem beyond media sets, clients, and scripts.

Are you running the Console application on the same Macintosh that's running the Engine?

Yes.

And lastly, did you mount the SmartStor RAID volume as a Finder user before, during or after you added it to the Retrospect Source list or tried to use it as a Member of a Disk Media Set?

Before.

The files on the volume indicate Retrospect created the directory structure necessary for backups, confirming that the software -can- write to the drive.

Edited by Guest

call 888-777-5664 to get directly to tech support.

I was finally given a different (800, not 888) number by Roxio support, initiated a ticket, then waited on hold for 70 minutes after being transfered to tech support... then gave up as I had other pressing issues.

For the sake of brevity, I explained it in a manner that didn't contain enough detail...

Given the infinite space for text descriptions, saving yourself some time in your post only causes others (who are attempting to render assistance) to be unnecessarily under informed or even misinformed.

I asked:

> If you create a File Media Set and store that on the same RAID, does the program backup to it?

To which you answered succinctly:

> No.

This means you _tried_ creating a File Media Set on the RAID, and a locally attached Source volume could not be backed up to it?

How about if you create a File Media Set on a non raid, locally attached volume?

Since the RetroEngine doesn't show up in the Mac OS X Activity Monitor, my assumption is that there is some core problem beyond media sets, clients, and scripts.

If the retroengine isn't running, the Console would have nothing to which to connect, which would mean you couldn't see _any_ of the things you describe above.

But since you _do_ describe things such as [color:purple]the "Media Sets" section of the Console[/color], then the Engine _is_ running, suggesting that there is _not_ some core problem beyond Media Sets. I don't think there has been any indication of a problem w/Clients or Scripts.

The files on the volume indicate Retrospect created the directory structure necessary for backups, confirming that the software -can- write to the drive.

Yes, this shows you successfully added the Volume as a Member of the Disk Media Set.

But if the drive were mounted on the Desktop of the Engine host machine before you added that same volume as a Source, Retrospect is likely using the wrong path to the Member, so it can't find it for backup.

This OSX caused naming issue is the single most common point-of-configuration-failure with Retrospect 8, and there are literally dozens of threads here on the Forum talking about it.

I'm not convinced this is what's biting you, however, as usually it shows up as a Media Request that can never be satisfied (until the naming issues are sorted out). And if you tried your tests using a File Media Set then Members wouldn't be involved at all. But your most detailed report describes a "Backup to which Media Set" drop-down sheet that shows "0" Members, so that's all we have to work with so far.

So check the path of:

Media Sets->Foo Media Set->Members(tab)->[color:red]Location[/color](column)

against

Sources->Volume_Containing_Member->Summary(tab)->[color:red]Path[/color](field)

Are they identical?

Dave

was finally given a different (800, not 888) number by Roxio support, initiated a ticket, then waited on hold for 70 minutes after being transfered to tech support... then gave up as I had other pressing issues.

Not sure why you wouldn't try the number I provided. It is a direct line to tech support during our business hours.

I finally received an email response, and the explanation is that I'm using the "Desktop 3-Client" version on OS X Server... and that console version apparently doesn't function properly on OS X server.

No such message was provided during install.

No such distinction is offered on the install disc.

No such distinction is offered on the "release notes" link contained in the read-me file on the install disc. (In fact, it specifies compatibility with Snow Leopard, which I have.)

And no such distinction is provided in the list of system requirements which I reviewed prior to purchase:

http://www.retrospect.com/products/software/retroformac/systemrequirements/

I finally received an email response, and the explanation is that I'm using the "Desktop 3-Client" version on OS X Server...

That would have been useful information in your initial problem statement.

and that console version apparently doesn't function properly on OS X server.

And no such distinction is provided in the list of system requirements which I reviewed prior to purchase:

http://www.retrospect.com/products/software/retroformac/systemrequirements/

If you review the product blurb at New! EMC® (sic) Retrospect® for Mac 8, you would see the following:

Retrospect for Macintosh Editions

Retrospect 8 Multi Server Unlimited Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses and branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting more than one server. [color:red]Retrospect Multi Server runs on a Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server computer[/color] and provides licenses to protect an unlimited number of networked Mac, Windows, and Linux servers, desktops, and notebooks. Annual Support and Maintenance is included with this product.

Retrospect 8 Single Server Unlimited Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses, branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting one server. [color:red]Retrospect Single Server runs on a Mac OS X server[/color] and provides licenses to protect an unlimited number of networked Mac, Windows, and Linux desktops and notebooks. [color:red]A server client license can be purchased to protect an additional networked Mac, Windows, or Linux server.[/color] Annual Support and Maintenance is included with this product.

Retrospect 8 Single Server 20 Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses, branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting one server. [color:red]Retrospect Single Server runs on a Mac OS X server[/color] and provides licenses to protect up to 20 networked Mac, Windows, and Linux desktops and notebooks. [color:red]A server client license can be purchased to protect an additional networked Mac, Windows, or Linux server.[/color]

Retrospect 8 Desktop 3 User is designed for individual users, home offices and small offices. [color:red]Retrospect Desktop 3-User protects a single Mac desktop or notebook, or a small network of Mac, Windows and Linux desktops and notebooks.[/color] This product is available with or without Annual Support and Maintenance.

Your configuration does not match the licensing restrictions for Retrospect 8 Desktop 3 User.

The licensing model is that the machine on which Retrospect engine runs is considered a "server", regardless of whether Mac OS X Server is running on that computer, and all other machines running Mac OS X Server are considered "servers".

I agree with you that there should be some sort of a diagnostic error message during the install, but there is not. This issue has confused others before, too.

I believe that the installed program is the same in all cases. It's simply a licensing issue that is checked at run time using the license code that you enter during installation.

Russ

That would have been useful information in your initial problem statement.

Being familiar with, but first-time user of the product, I relied on the information provided in the "About Retrospect" which doesn't make any distinction on the license-level.

If you review the product blurb at New! EMC® (sic) Retrospect® for Mac 8, you would see the following:

Having had already decided on a 3-user version (I have a video production environment with one server and one workstation in need of regular back-ups, and being familiar with Retrospect I never considered the more-expensive 20-user license), I went directly to release notes and system requirements, which indicated compatibility with my set-up.

Yes - this is my scenario too. I don't need the server version, though from a licensing point of view looks as though I do!

Would love to know for sure if upgrading license actually sorts the issue, taking the pessimistic view.

FYI: Whilst I can't run on the Xserve, I am currently temporarily running Retrospect on a workstation and backing up shared volumes over the network. Takes approx 7 hours to backup 1.2TB (full), then I'm incrementing onto 16GB USB sticks. Solution works, but obviously slow for the full backup

Yes - this is my scenario too. I don't need the server version, though from a licensing point of view looks as though I do!

Would love to know for sure if upgrading license actually sorts the issue, taking the pessimistic view.

Well, a trial license would answer that question. The Retrospect licensing model is what it is, and I just accept it. For our situation of a single xServe with Retrospect and a bunch of LAN clients, it's reasonable.

FYI: Whilst I can't run on the Xserve, I am currently temporarily running Retrospect on a workstation and backing up shared volumes over the network. Takes approx 7 hours to backup 1.2TB (full), then I'm incrementing onto 16GB USB sticks. Solution works, but obviously slow for the full backup

As long as Retrospect engine is not running on a Mac OS Server machine, and as long as Retrospect Client is not running on a Mac OS Server machine, yes, that will "work" for some definitions of "work".

The problem that Retrospect client solves in such a situation, rather than having Retrospect engine access the network-mounted shares, is that network-mounted shares have access (permissions) issues, and may not present the same files (or permissions, depending on ACLs, etc.) that Retrospect client sees.

Retrospect client runs setuid root on the client machine, so that it can access all files and get all the metadata correct. If that's not an issue in your situation, then network-mounted volumes may "work" for you.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Since I don't really need the Xserve on the mini for it to function as the archive for old video projects and a back-up server, I'm installing OS X (desktop) to see if the situation ultimately resolves.

Unclear what you mean here by "Xserve on the mini". The xServe is a rack-mounted hardware platform - got one in the next room.

If you are talking about the OS running on the Mini (Mac OS X Server vs. Mac OS X non-server), Mac OS X Server is optimized for performance, and has other goodies remote server admin, mail server, etc.

If your Mac OS X non-server performance is adequate, and if you don't care about common permissions management (Open Directory, LDAP, etc.), you will be OK.

Russ

Being familiar with, but first-time user of the product, I relied on the information provided in the "About Retrospect" which doesn't make any distinction on the license-level.

Having had already decided on a 3-user version (I have a video production environment with one server and one workstation in need of regular back-ups, and being familiar with Retrospect I never considered the more-expensive 20-user license), I went directly to release notes and system requirements, which indicated compatibility with my set-up.

The same licensing information language is given on the Data Sheet for the product:

Retrospect 8 Data Sheet

I guess you just overlooked that key information.

Again, I agree that a better error message / diagnostic is needed to indicate that the failure is due to licensing restrictions, and perhaps the installer should do a check as well.

Your basic disagreement, though, seems to be that the licensing model requires a server license if Mac OS X Server is involved. That's a product decision that none of us control. If the price point, combined with capabilities, doesn't compare with competitive products, the alternative is to vote with your wallet.

Russ