Can anyone successfully Restore files

Thanks for the info. It is amazing how much more information you can get from these forums compared to the useless tech guy I had to get here and had to pay for.

That's different from my experience with Retrospect tech support over the past 18 or so years, which I have found to be excellent. However, I've only had contact with the US group, not the group in your corner of the world. You can also get useless information in these forums as well. You might want to try the U.S. support group.

Does Retrospect have any idea when 8.2 is coming out?

Yes, but "Retrospect" is not saying when. It will be out when it is ready. See:

Retrospect 8.2 beta expected real soon now, but we aren't saying when.

DO they need anyone else to test it.

Um, yes. That's the whole point of a beta, to expand the testing base beyond the internal testbeds.

Another thing I am testing, when it arrives today, is a terminator on the tape drive. The documentation that came with the tape drive apparently had a typo in it and it IS supposed to be terminated. The document says it doesn't need to be, so I haven't terminated it. I will see how that goes. Hopefully that might do it as it is behaving in a similar fashion to other scsi devices we have used years ago when termination was not right.

It all depends on whether your drive is internally terminated. Some are, and some aren't.

You might want to call the tech support for your drive and ask for clarification.

Because you haven't provided exact specifics of which Tandberg Ultrium LTO-4 drive you have (internal? external? half-height? full height?), it's not possible to answer your question definitively. However, a SCSI LVD chain (and the Tandberg drives are LVD) does require termination at each end. Your ATTO UL4S HBA card terminates one end, but the other end needs to be terminated as well.

The Tandberg LTO-4 Half-Height external drive Quick Start guide indicates that the drive has active termination, which is supposed to sense when the SCSI chain is unterminated at the drive and enable the terminator.

Tandberg External Half-Height LTO Tape Drives - Quick Start Guide

SCSI cable and termination

Use the 68-pin, wide, VHDCI-to-HD SCSI cable (1) supplied with the tape drive. The tape drive provides active termination; it does not require a terminator, if it is the only or the last device on the SCSI bus. If not, use an LVD or multimode terminator on the last device. Daisy-chaining multiple devices is not recommended. If you do so, do not mix drive families (only daisy-chain with other Ultrium tape drives) and attach no more than two devices to the same SCSI bus. The last device on the SCSI chain must be terminated correctly.

It's also possible that the active termination sensing circuitry is not working correctly, or that you have cabling issues, which would manifest the same symptoms as incorrect termination.

You may want to try another LVD cable. I suggest the ones from Cables-to-Go, which have always been reasonably priced and have worked well for us. Here is the link:

Cables to Go

Russ

• 3 weeks later...