v6.5 - backing up outlook.pst

I am running retrospect 6.5 single server edition. I thought that server editions can backup open files but my Microsoft outlook's outlook.pst file is not being backed up. I am getting a "locked range conflict." Is there any way for retrospect to backup the pst file?

thanks for the help

john

I believe that you need to have open file add-in to backup open files. The easiest way to backup the pst file is to make sure that the user exits outlook before the backup begins. I run into the same problem on both of my backup systems because people fail to exit their programs before leaving at night.

I agree.. we have the open file add-in and it works fine. PST files are still a pain though, especially once users collate several GB of data each!

Each time Outlook launches it 'touches' any conneted Archive files, forcing Retrospect to back up the file again (even if it hasn't seen a new email in months). To try and resolve this we have a company policy in place making staff disconnect any archives files when not in use.

Not sure what verison it appeared in, but in the backup script options under 'Outlook' there's an option to shutdown Outlook if it's locked. If you have the open file add-in then Outlook will remain open (apparently).

Hope that helps,

Rich

Edited by Guest

It sounds like Retrospect is not detecting that Outlook is running on the client. I would try exiting Outlook completely before the backup starts and see if you get the same error. If you do not then I would report it as a bug.

The other possibility is that client has security preventing Retrospect from closing programs.

• 2 months later...
I am running retrospect 6.5 single server edition. I thought that server editions can backup open files but my Microsoft outlook's outlook.pst file is not being backed up. I am getting a "locked range conflict." Is there any way for retrospect to backup the pst file?

thanks for the help

john

I have been working with pst files for several years. But some days ago I was on the I-net and caught sight there - open .pst file without outlook. It surprised me because of could settle my old issue with damaged emails. What is more the application relieved me quite simply.