Retrospect 8.1 Script change - data source gets added / changed without me actually adding it

Hi forum folks.

I've been migrating my Retrospect 6 scripts across manually to Retrospect 8.1 (Build 626). Mac OS X 10.5.8, on a Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro.

I've been noticing that sometimes when the scripts are run, or when they are saved, that the "Source" changes from how I set it.

The problem doesn't happen all the time. But has appeared a few times in the last few weeks.

So, if say "server01" backup is running, and the source should be "server01-data" drive, I'll then find something like user "Bob Jones" data being included in the backup, in the log file / email.

Having seen this in the log, I thought "OK, better go check the scripts." So, I checked the scripts, and found that the user backup was now "ticked" in the sources list for that script. Even though I never ticked that, and that backup has nothing to do with that user.

And sometimes the actual data backup that was meant to happen (data source was ticked in the 'source' part of the script), gets removed all together, and replaced with another server or user's data source.

For me, the problem has been happening a lot during the setup of the scripts, and now afterwards.

After migrating a few scripts, I'll go back through, check the scripts, and find 1 or 2 sources like this, that weren't as I set them.

(e.g. "server04-data" set for the "server02" backup.)

I thought I was going a bit insane... So I started to take screen-shots, and note down what changes I made. Sure enough, scripts would muck up some of the time.

I think the problem is compounded as there isn't a script "save" function like what there was in Retrospect 6... Instead, it's saved live as you go along. I think this is good (so you don't loose work), but a bit dangerous too, as you can break something, and it's automatically saved!

So, once you make a change on the Retrospect 8 server, it's meant to be saved... But perhaps this is being cached poorly? And it remembers another script you were editing earlier? And saves that data source instead?

In another example (this morning), I scheduled two immediate scripts running... First was a tape backup, of "server02", to backup the standard data source "server02-data", using 'tape set 1'. At the same time, I also scheduled a backup of the same server ("server02") using a 'tape set 2', to run straight after, once the tape drive was available.

I changed nothing else -- and hadn't changed any volumes or data sources for more than a day.

And low and behold, the "server02" script now has an extra volume / data source added to it -- a user backup in this instance. (Other times, it's been another server volume)... It seems to pick up a data source from my "Favorites" list.

The same backup ran yesterday (automatically to schedule) ran fine, without any sign of an "extra" user backup being included in the log / email. So, the extra user volume/data source appears to have been added "out of the blue".

The Retrospect backup server is in a locked room, and I'm the only one with access to the Retrospect Admin console, password etc. All scripts were modified / worked on live on the actual server, using the Retrospect console, although I have been monitoring the scripts using a workstation in the same locked room with the Retrospect console app on that workstation.

Anyone else have some mysterous "extra" (or replaced) data sources in their backups in Retrospect 8?

Cheers,

D.

This might provide an insight into why the preferences/config file gets corrupted.

All scripts were modified / worked on live on the actual server, using the Retrospect console, although I have been monitoring the scripts using a workstation in the same locked room with the Retrospect console app on that workstation.

Were both consoles ever active at the same time?

Russ

• 4 months later...

Hi there -

I am new here, so forgive me if I'm covering old ground.

We are having the exact same issue - not only do the Sources change spontaneously, but the Media Sets do as well, sometimes before my eyes: I will check one source, and before I've left to go to another screen that check goes away and another is checked in its place.

Needless to say its very frustrating; we're not able to set a schedule for backups because we never know exactly *what* will be backed up, or to which media set. We're considering dropping Retrospect and finding another backup system.

Were you ever able to solve this issue?

Any thoughts/advice/direction you can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Re Russ' question:

Yes, on rare occasions, I have had both the console on the server, and the console on my workstation open at the same time. So, this could be a valid theory.

(Not good if that's the case -- but at least I know to try to avoid using both consoles, and use Remote Desktop instead).

Re CVE's questions:

No, the issue is not really resolved. I just do regular automatic reboots, to keep the system "fresh" and that seems to help this (and other minor problems -- not finding the clients!) happier.

I DO notice, that without fail, if I want to run a scripted backup manually, I will select a destination (e.g. Monday-Wed-Fri LTO3 backup set A), and before my eyes, every time, Retrospect will automatically highlight the last destination in the list (e.g. Tues-Thurs LTO3 backup set C) within about 5 seconds. This behaviour is repeatable without fail.

(If you want to run a manual backup, to a destination of your choice, you have to select the backup destination, and get it running, before that 5 second 'automatic' choice kicks in).

Not a solution, but something to be aware of.

Cheers,

D.

How many media sets do you have associated with the script? I just tried to replicate your problem on my setup and could not but what I am thinking is that you are not letting the list to fully populate before selecting a media set.

What happens if you wait to select the media set, does Retrospect still jump back to last set used after five seconds?

Hi There.

We have 6 sets in total (MWF A, MWF B, MWF C, TT A, TT B, TT C).

List is fully populated.

You can leave the list for a minute if you want, but as soon as you select a Media set, then it jumps down to the last media set within 5 seconds. (Unless you are quick and hit the 'backup' button before it jumps).

It's like it's possessed -- you see the highlight change from the first item (or whatever you select), down to the last item :-).

Cheers,

D.

Edited by Guest

What happens if you select a set and click the "cancel" button before the five seconds and re-open the dialog does the last used set get highlighted or does the selected one stay?

I just tried this and when I re-opened the dialog the one I selected previously was highlighted.

Have you tried deleting and recreating the script since it sounds like something might be screwed up in the script? One word of advice is that better to start from scratch instead editing a copy of an existing script.

Does the *highlight* change?

Or does the *selected checkbox* change along with the highlight?

There's a difference

I've reported issues with 8.2 where things are highlighted when they shouldn't be (particularly in restores when searching multiple sets).

But to try to reproduce your issue, I just created a new backup script, went to Media Sets and the first alphabetical one listed was "highlighted" (not selected) and things never moved off of that.

I then selected the third one from the list (I have 10 media sets) and the selection never moved off that, either.

OH WAIT -- your original post says you were migrating to *8.1*, right?

8.1 had all kinds of "jumping list selection" issues -- those should all be fixed in 8.2

Is there a reason you aren't migrating to 8.2?

Since the results of Maser's test match the results of my tests we now know that the problem does not exist in 8.2 and so you must be running 8.1.626 In this case you should really upgrade to 8.2 and that should alleviate the problem.

My tests were done on a PowerPC G4 and correct me if am wrong but Maser's were done on an Intel Mac.

Hi there.

Thanks for all the renewed comments / interest in this topic.

When I originally posted this, we were using Retrospect 8.1. But we are using Retrospect 8.2 (399), and have been for a while now, and the problems are still persisting, although, not as bad as previously.

So, these is the steps we do (just as a quick recap):

• Select a script (highlight it)
  • Hit the Run button
  • The 'Backup to which Media Set?' dialogue comes up
  • The last script is always highlighted

• We click on another set (not the last one)

• The media set will then change a few seconds later, back to the last set.

Here is a list of answers to all your great questions...

To Daniels' questions:

• If we select a set and click 'Cancel' and then re-open the dialogue, the issue doesn't appear to occur as often. It does remember the selection if you immediately re-open that script. But if you open another script in between, and go back to the original script, and reverts back to the last set again.

• Yes, tried creating new scripts, and new sets. Seems to be more reliable (doesn't jump back to last script, in any of our tests).

To Maser's questions:

• 'Selected checkbox'? There is no selected checkbox. (Retrospect 8.2 (399) - Mac OS X). We can only highlight (e.g. blue highlight row). There is the 'status' column (left column)... The other column headers (status is blank) are: Name, Type, Used, Files, Free, Members. PS "Status" is my name for that column, since it is not labelled. There might be a more technical term!
  • Using 8.2 (wasn't originally months ago, but have been on 8.2 for several months)...

• By the way... Running Mac OS X 10.6.4, Intel Mac Pro, 6GB RAM, 2x 2.66Ghz Dual-core Intel Xeons.

So, for us, the problem still seems to exist for existing sets, but hasn't occurred for any new sets. That gives us a good indication of what we need to do!

Cheers,

D.

Hi there.

Thanks for all the renewed comments / interest in this topic.

When I originally posted this, we were using Retrospect 8.1. But we are using Retrospect 8.2 (399), and have been for a while now, and the problems are still persisting, although, not as bad as previously.

So, these is the steps we do (just as a quick recap):

• Select a script (highlight it)
  • Hit the Run button
  • The 'Backup to which Media Set?' dialogue comes up
  • The last script is always highlighted

• We click on another set (not the last one)

• The media set will then change a few seconds later, back to the last set.

I don't quite get these set of steps. I'm with you on the first three steps (using a pre-defined "backup" script) -- but I don't get the last three steps

What kind of script are you running?

And by "checkbox", I mean if you make a backup script and go to the "Media Sets" tab for the script, in order to *choose* a media set for the script, you have to click the checkbox next to the name of the media set.

From your results it definitely sounds like the scripts you brought over from 8.1 are the problem since you said it does not do it with new scripts and new media sets. What happens if you use the new scripts with the old media sets? If they do not jump then we know the scripts are bad and I would re-create them from scratch in 8.2

Select a script (highlight it)

Hit the Run button

The 'Backup to which Media Set?' dialogue comes up

The last script is always highlighted

if you open another script in between, and go back to the original script, and reverts back to the last set again

doesn't jump back to last script, in any of our tests

You're conflating your terms here, using "script" and "set" (assuming Media Set) interchangeably.

Confirm you are talking about Media Sets in all cases, yes?

- Steve's question of what Type of Script (Backup, Copy, Archive, Proactive, etc etc) would be helpful.

- What Type of Media Set is "the last" that it keeps reverting to?

- What Type of Media Set is/are the other(s) above the last

I mocked this up real quickly, with a Disk Media Set at the top and a File Media Set at the bottom, and saw it switch itself from top to bottom once; after that, everything remains stable, even after adding a third Media Set. From the drop-down sheet, whichever Media Set I select, even when I click "Cancel," is the Media Set that is shown the next time I click the "Run" button, and does not move.

Hi folks.

OK, a picture tells a 1000 words... Please find an example screenshot attached.

So, to get there, we're in the "Scripts" section, selecting one script (problem applies to any tape backup script we have), hitting the "Run" button, and the dialogue in question ("Backup to which Media Set?") is pictured.

This (pictured) is where the Media Set jumping occurs. Select another set (e.g. the first set), and a few seconds later, the last set will automatically highlight instead.

I can also confirm that this DOES happen for brand new 8.2 Retrospect scripts. I tried the script (and media sets) I made a day ago, and it too jumps from my selection (say the first set), and jumps to the last set.

So, it's happening with 8.1 scripts, and new 8.2 scripts. Yes, I too was hoping it was just a "8.1" issue carried over. But it's not just that. It is affecting new 8.2 scripts / sets.

So, these are tape backup sets (in our case, going to LTO3 tapes).

(Sorry, I DID mix up the use of the terms 'set' and 'script' CallMeDave -- thanks for pointing that out :oneeye: ).

These are 'backup' scripts. The last media set in these cases is always tape (LTO3). All the other media sets are also tape (LTO3)... So, the only differentiating factor that we can work out, is that alphabetically, the last media set is highlighted, because it comes later in the alphabet!

Let us know your thoughts :-).

Cheers,

D.

Have you tried new config files since it sounds like those files may be damaged causing this jumping problem in 8.2? You will need to recreate all of your rules, scripts, media sets, and clients but it might be worth the trouble. The files you need to delete are config80.dat and config80.bak

All of my config files have been created with a flavor of 8.2 and I have never experienced this jumping problem.

Oh, I get it -- your script has more than one media set selected.

You do that so it backs up to whatever set is connected to your computer (right?)

I can reproduce what you are seeing now. (All my scripts back up to only one media set, so I wasn't comprehending what you were doing...)

I see the *first* jump to the last alphabetical media set, but any subsequent selection of a set does not jump a second time.

And if I cancel and rerun the script, it does *not* jump again.

Is that consistent with what you are seeing?

Hi Maser and forum folks.

Yes, that is correct. We have an autoloader, hence we cycle different tapes on different days / weeks, hence the different media sets linked to each tape backup script.

Yes, that is consistent. The 'cancel' option seems to stop it jumping, until next time.

We don't need to 'Run' scripts this way all the time, but when we do (e.g. if doing a manual 'recycle', or if doing a re-run of a script), that is when we experience this bug behaviour.

Cheers!

D.