206 Errors on SuperDrive

New dual 1GHz G4, 1.25GB RAM, Ultra160 36GB disk, ATA100 80GB disk, 10.2, Retro 5.0.205 & RDU 2.9. Apple's built in SuperDrive Pioneer DVR-104 (Dantz Qualified) used for backup with Apple DVD-R Media.

My last backup failed on 2 DVDs (out of 6) with this error:

Trouble writing: “4-Sam-2002-09-17” (4268265471), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Toast burns AOK...

Any ideas? Have people seen failures with Apple's media or the Superdrives?

Sam

I have been running into the exact same problem, error 206 with the Toshiba SD-R2002.

I get the problem almost consistently with backing up the system files, backing-up with using the System Folder sector. If I backup with any other section, like backing up my documents folder, I can get through most of the time wiithout the error. I have tried the TDK CD-RW and the Imation CD-R. I am willing to believe that ithe problem is solved with using the correct media. Now only to find the correct media.

Please advise

• 2 weeks later...

I too am having DVD-R media compatibility problems. After installing the latest versions of Retrospect Express (5.0.205) and Retrospect Client ( 5.0.536), I attempted to backup my 933 MHz G4, running 10.2.1, on Fujifilm DVD-R 4.7 GB media using the internal Pioneer DVR-104 drive (I use this drive all the time with CD-R media). Within the first minute, I had an error 206 "(drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)." Given that my G4 is otherwise clean and functioning perfectly, that the media was clean and carefully handled, I decided to pay for an "incident" of tech. support from Dantz. The advice I received was that there are frequent media compatibility issues with the DVR-104, so I went looking on the web and found this page on "Writing with 2X DVD-R Media":

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/Common/ArticleDetails/0,1484,36000,00.html

Fujifilm media is not on the compatible media list, but DVD-R media from these companies is apparently acceptable: Maxell, Verbatim, Mitsui, Pioneer, TDK, Taiyo-Yuden, Panasonic. Next step, buy some alternative media, and try it out!

I have Dual 800 G4, Superdrive, Retrospect Express 5.0.205, OSX 10.1.5. Usiing Apple DVD-R. I just posted to Express for Mac forum. It ate 5 out of 11 DVD-Rs!!! Used 4.3 in OS 9.2.2 with same drive and Media on same computer without a problem.

Craog

Using Express 5.0.205 on Dual 800 G4 OSX 10.1.5 and Pioneer DVR-103, Apple DVD-R. I got 206 error on 5 of 11 disks! When I last backed up my full hard drive I used Express 4.3 in OS 9.2.2 using same media and drive without a problem. It really indicates to me the problem is with Express (and Client too?) 5 and maybe OSX of any flavor.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

The week after my post of 9/30/2002, I tried some TDK DVD-R disks as these were on Pioneer's compatible media list for my 933 MHz G4's internal SuperDrive (the Pioneer DVR-104 drive). Again, the TDK media worked flawlessly with Toast, but with Retrospect Express 5.0.205 and Retrospect Driver Update 3.0, I still got the error 206 on about half my disks. Today I downloaded the new Retrospect Driver Update 3.1, and not only found my SuperDrive working with Retrospect much more quickly (up from about 58 MB/minute to about 148 MB/minute!), but without any errors. Until I've backed up to a bunch of DVD-R disks I won't really have a good basis for a conclusion, but it looks as though something important has been fixed in the driver update.

Thanks for the tip. I'll download the update. IF it solves the problem I hope Dantz owns up to their mistake and appologizes (and offers to replace the media it corrupted). The ABSOLUTELY insisted the problem was with either the SuperDrive or the media. BTW the Apple DVD-R are actually Pioneer disks. So much for their claim that Apple DVD-Rs not being listed as Pioneer compatible.

Archived