Delete Files/Folders in Restore Location

When restoring to a location using Retrospect Server, I want the program to add/delete/replace files and folders in the restore location, right now the program only add/replace, but it does not delete. This would be a REALLY great feature, and it would save me SO MUCH TIME!!! Please do add it in your next version.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

I have 5 files & 1 folder on Computer1 in the folder BACKUP and 5 files & 1 folder on Computer2 in the folder BACKUP.

Computer1

-----------------------------

hello.txt

game.doc

\folder\world.cfg

blueboy.mp3

cover.jpg

Computer2

-----------------------------

helloworld.txt

game.doc

\folder2\world2.cfg

blueboy.mp3

cover.jpg

I'll backup Computer2 to a backup file and then restore that backup file on Computer1. When I restore to Computer1, I want the backup file to delete hello.txt & \folder\world.cfg on Computer1 and add helloworld.txt & \folder2\world2.cfg from the backup file into the BACKUP folder on Computer1. Version 5.6 will only add/replace, in other words I would have 7 files & 2 folders on Computer1. I want Computer1 to look exactly like Computer2. I understand that I can delete the BACKUP folder on Computer1 and just have the program restore it, but my point is about saving time. This is a small scale example, think about the thousands of files that I have to deal with!!! This is the same idea with the IncrementalPLUS backup feature, but I would like a IncrementalPLUS restore feature (nice name to add to your program feature list)! Thanks for reading my suggestion, and I hope you guys over at Dantz would implement this feature as it will save me lots of time and I bet this will help many other people too. You guys really have a great program!!!

If do a restore with the destination selection of "Replace Entire Disk" Retrospect will delete EVERYTHING on the destination that did not exist on the source. It sounds like you were using the Replace Corrosponding Files option or retrieve files and folders, which does not delete extra items, rather Retrospect restores around them.

oh stupid me, i thought the "restore entire disk" would just wipe the whole restore location and then restore everything from the backup file, but as I tried it, it made sure the restore location is in sync with the backup file.

thank you very much Mayoff!!! =)

Archived