I want to make sure this backup is working ok

Retrospec 6.5

Windows XP

There are some errors. When it runs the backup, does it compress it into a file, or can you access the files like you would on your regular harddrive/source

I have saved screen shots, how can I get it so that the forum can look at it to view the errors and the script?

Thank you

The screen shots are very blurry, but, from what I can see, all of the errors are normal. Most are from files changing during the backup, and others (the last few in error2.jpg) are for transient files and directories that disappeared during backup.

Note that the files are temporary files or log files, and the error simply means that the files changed from the time they were backed up until you did a verification pass to compare what was backed up and what is in the backup set.

The only way you can eliminate these errors is to back up a quiet system with nothing running.

The last few errors on your "error2.jpg" screenshot are of a similar nature - transient files and directories disappeared between the backup pass and the verification pass.

Again, the only way you can eliminate these errors is to back up a quiet system with nothing running.

Offhand, and as best as can be seen from these blurry JPEG files, it looks like you were browsing the internet while a backup was underway.

You just have to use judgment as to the particular files that give these errors, or else run the backup on a quiet system.

Or, use the full-blown (not Express) Retrospect and use MD5 calculations, which calculates an MD5 polynomial value for each file that is backed up, and then, rather than do the verification pass, you can have Retrospect recalculate the MD5 values for the files in the backup set and compare those values against the known values at the time of the backup (rather than directly comparing against the current file on disk), which lets you validate the backup that way.

Clear?

Russ

Thank you very much for the feedback, I am just trying to make sure this is working correctly for a customer of mine. What is a good way, or what are some options to test/restore the backup, to double check that way?

By the way the backup is going onto an external USB Harddrive.

Edited by Guest

What is a good way, or what are some options to test/restore the backup, to double check that way?

I wish I knew an easy answer, but I don't.

The best approach is only to back up a quiescent system or an unmounted volume.

If that's not possible, then you will have to do some test restores to a blank drive, then do extensive testing of the restored drive.

Russ