Applying Exchange license to server causes Assert elem.cpp-1084

I am trying to apply a license to an Exchange Server in Retrospect Multi-Server so that I can add Exchange to the Backup script we have. When I click on Exchange Server (not licensed) it asks if I want to use the available Exchange license I've already entered into Retrospect to this server. I click on Ok. After that it asks what user account I want to specify. I'm using the domain Administrator account which should have full rights to the Exchange server. After about 10 seconds I get "Retrospect encountered a serious error: Assertion failure at elem.cpp-1084". Here is the top part of the assert_log.utx. Let me know if anyone wants me to post the whole thing.

OS: Windows Server 2003 version 5.2 (build 3790), Service Pack 2, (32 bit)

Application: C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.7\Retrospect.exe, version 7.7.325

Exception occurred on 4/20/2010 at 4:55:41 PM

Error info: Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-1084"

Exception code: E0000000 ASSERTION

Fault address: 77E4BEF7 0001:0000AEF7 kernel32.dll

I renamed the config77.dat and config77.bak files and started over from scratch. I added only the Exchange server as a backup client and then went straight to adding the Exchange license and it worked this time.

I have a theory on why this didn't work the first time. When we first setup Retrospect to backup this server it didn't have Exchange installed on it. We installed Exchange 2007 later. I noticed that the Exchange license number is the same as one of the server client license numbers. Could it be that this server was originally assigned a non-Exchange license and when I asked it to apply the Exchange license it didn't match up and got confused somehow? That's my only guess for the engineers if they want to try and reproduce this. In any case, it's working now and I'm rebuilding the other scripts. Hopefully it won't crash after I get everything else setup again.

• 2 weeks later...