Migrating from 6.1 to 8

I just upgraded to retrospect 8.1 (626) from 6.1. I know the terminology has changed and have read the "changes" sticky. It seems like the 6.1 storage catalogs can not be read by the new software. Meaning the doc that was saved as the catalog file not the backup set itself. Is this true? So the only option is to rebuild from the media set? REALLY?! If so, that SUCKS!

Please someone tell me there's a better way. There's no way I'm rebuilding all the catalog information. I know in the new features it says that v8 can now rebuild an entire catalog from the last member of the set only, but does that include sets that were created with earlier versions of Retrospect?

What is the point of backup software with crippled backward compatibility?

Please help.

TIA

I just saw the "unsupported" post below. So do I get my money back now since I'm supposed to carry on using my old software?

I'm only backing up my own work, not a whole office. I'm in the middle of a project and just upgraded computers so I thought I'd be current and upgrade Retrospect too. I haven't even used it yet, just bought today.

I'm calling CSR. This is BEYOND STUPID!

Not sure what to tell you. The next update to the software is supposed to bring the feature that will allow you to *read* from Retrospect 6 backup sets.

But you will never be able to *write* to Retrospect 6 backup sets with Retrospect 8.

So if you'd like to use version 8, you should start fresh with 8.

I'm calling CSR. This is BEYOND STUPID!

It doesn't bake bread, either.

EMC provides very generous, automatically assigned "try it" licenses for use before putting up any money. A good way for IT professionals to qualify, validate and test systems solutions before committing company (or personal) funds.

Dave