"Needs Media" stops all backups.

Have you made sure that both the Finder and Retrospect know that the shares you are using as members are mounted? If the share is not mounted in the Finder, Retrospect may not be able to connect to it properly and report it as missing.

You may also want to check permissions on the shares to make sure you can store the backup on them.

I would also try mounting the shares in Retrospect and the Finder using smb instead of afp. We have a Snap Server and in order to connect to it properly we have to use the smb protocol since afp will not validate the user name and password correctly.

Edited by Guest

Have you made sure that both the Finder and Retrospect know that the shares you are using as members are mounted? If the share is not mounted in the Finder, Retrospect may not be able to connect to it properly and report it as missing.

This is entirely inaccurate; I would advise readers to disregard.

Dave

Missing maybe was the wrong word but I have found that if shares are not mounted in the Finder then Retrospect has trouble backing them up. I know this was especially true in 6.1 and I have experienced it in 8.1 as well. The Windows 2000 Server I back up used to use mounted shares and anytime these were dismounted Retrospect could not access them for backup. Maybe in the newer OSes it might sufficient to just be logged into the NAS.

Edited by Guest

I have found that if shares are not mounted in the Finder then Retrospect has trouble backing them up.

If you read the entire thread you'll see that the Original Poster is attempting to use the NAS as a Member of a Disk Media Set, meaning the Destination, not the Source.

Mounting the same share as a Finder user on the Engine host machine that you want Retrospect to also use as a Member of a Disk Media Set has the potential to lead to mountpoint naming issues that can cause backups to fail.

All of this is discussed up-thread and in many, many other posts here on the Forum. It is entirely unrelated to any behavior seen in Retrospect "Classic."

Dave

Hate the though of dishing out around $70.00 for support

If your data is not worth a $70.00 support call, it's not worth backing up.

Good support costs money. Anyone using this product to back up their valuable data should buy an annual maintenance contract. It's worth the money.

Russ