How to continue retrival if 1 file is bad.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Does anyone have an answer to this question? I'm trying to restore some really old folders and I'm using Retrospect 5.1 on Mac OS 9. After Retrospect restore a few hundred files, it would get stuck on a file and I would have to stop, do the search for all again, remove the file that it got stuck on and restart the restore. Just wondering if there's an easier way to skip a file that wouldn't restore than to start over and skipping that file. I am restoring everything from a set at a time with many sets to go.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Just wondering if there's an easier way to skip a file that wouldn't restore than to start over and skipping that file.

If there's a problem with your backup set, Retrospect won't know it until it detects the error, so no, there's no shortcut here.

The good news is that, if you're restoring from a snapshot, Retrospect should recognize the files that have already been restored and won't have to restore them again.

You could try verifying your backup sets to detect problems before you start the restoration. However, there's at least a slight possibility you may end up deeper in the weeds if the media is damaged. If you do choose to verify your backup set or repair or rebuild the catalog, I would make sure to create a copy of the existing catalog in case the repair makes matters worse.

It would be helpful for us in offering further advice if you'd tell us what type of backup sets these are, and on what specific kind of media they're stored.

Hi Twickland,

Thank you for your response. These are old retrospect tape backup sets. Can't really tell you any more about the sets because these were created before my time at this company. Didn't give me anymore info in the configure button. The media these data are stored on are DDS2.

Thanks again!