Restart Retro8 Engine via command line

Hi all!

Did anybody find -- or is there -- a working and reliable way to stop and restart the Retrospect Engine via command line?

To make sure that all newly attached tape drives are recognized by the engine at a certain time we simply would like to stop the engine once weekly when there are no backup processes running. And then restart it after a few seconds to achieve a rescan of the available devices.

The computer the engine is running on is a server which needs to be up all the time. We are using Retro 8 Multi Server (Engine 8.1.626.1) on a Mac OS X Server 10.6.2 machine.

I would like to setup a launchd plist which simply runs a shell script to perform the Retrospect Engine restart at a certain time every week. Of course I've found several ways to kill and relaunch the engine, but it would be helpful to know the commands issued when you hit the "Start/Stop Engine" button in Retrospect's system preferences.

Thank you in advance and happy Easter,

Ron.

• Like 2

I *believe* this works to start it

sudo /bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist

and this to stop it:

sudo /bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.launchd.retroengine.plist

I know the former command will start the engine if the engine has crashed and will not start from the System Preference (I can make that happen on rare occasion...)

:-)

Thank you for your quick response! — Yes, it appears to work. For some reason I've tried the launchctl start/stop commands instead of ... load/unload as you suggested.

When I used the start and stop subcommands, I received an error that there was "no such process" ... But anyway, with load and unload it works fine!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Ron.

• 5 months later...

Just for completeness (and for the next person who needs to find the info)- now that it's under Roxio the new commands (reflecting the new pathname) are:

sudo /bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

sudo /bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

How do we modify this for Yosemite 10.10.5?

Using Terminal (Computer Name "Myserver", Admin account "admin")

Myserver:~ admin$ sudo /bin/launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroengine.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.retrospect.retroengine.plist: Could not find specified service

Did the launchctl command structure change with 10.10.5? com.retrospect.retroengine.plist is located in /Library/LaunchDaemons/ on Myserver