ok - so who has tried 7.7 build 325?

Normally, a 32bit App in 32bit OS can only access less than 2GB virtual memory(VM) space. Also, some runtime library will occurpy some VM space. Considering memory fragments, to allocate a large contineous memory (such as 256MB in Mwilliamson

's case) is possible to fail).

Currently I still suspect 7.6 can succeed in the same case. Maybe when using 7.7, source volumes have changed (i.e., there are more folders in source volumes).

I'm not sure about the file matching speeds, but as it stands right now, 7.7 is not a stable solution for restoring Windows Server 2008.

I'm still waiting to hear from EMC support on a fix for this. The last that I heard, they were having other problems when testing Server 2008 boxes.

I, too, am getting the Windows 7 backup errors. Maybe we should just wait until version 8 for Windows :-(

The only news that I have heard is that EMC is aware of the Windows Server 2008 restore problems that I've been having (both Server 2008 Cluster configs and Windows Update SQL update problems after restore). They have nothing new to report, but I'm just happy that they are aware of the problems.

So I'm still stuck on 7.6.

Hi Robert...

There are two ways that I have found to get Server 2008 restores working on 7.6:

1. Use the Retrospect "RegCopy" program to restore the registry:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/30809/

2. Install a copy of SQL Server 2005 Express on the Server 2008. For some odd reason, this enables Retrospect 7.6 to restore the 2008 registry:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/32549/

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure about the AD restores. My test boxes, all members of a domain, work fine. But the domain functional level is not 2008; all domain controllers in our test environment are running Server 2003.

As for MSSQL fixing the problem of 2008 restores, I have no idea. I literally stumbled upon this by accident!

Marc

• 4 months later...