mschmidt5

Retrospect 7.7 just closes

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP 2

Retrospect Multi Server

Version 7.7.208 (32-bit)

Driver Update and Hot Fix, version 7.7.1.102

I have been running this version for a while now without anything abnormal happening. Today there was a problem with a destination NAS. The NAS couldn't be contacted so Retrospect was asking for the password to connect to it. Retrospect then crashed & closed. I had to restart the NAS & it came up normally. But now every time I start Retrospect, as soon as I start the Proactive backup, the Retrospect window just closes with no errors or warnings.

When I look at the Events tab in Retrospect, this is what I see (I have to tell it to not start Proactive Backup in order to be able to stay in Retrospect). At the time that I opened Retrospect it gives a message in the category of Engine. The message says "Execution terminated unexpectedly, possibly due to a power failure or system crash." I know that is a generic message Retrospect gives that can apply to a lot of things. Then it has another message in the category Engine that says "+ Retrospect version 7.7.208 Launched at 3/22/2010 3:13PM in user account." If I choose to start the Proactive Backup, then it will show that event also.

When I look in the Windows Application Event Viewer, I get the following event from when I started Retrospect:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Retrospect

Event Category: None

Event ID: 2

Date: 3/22/2010

Time: 3:13:56 PM

User: FASSERVERBLADE3\Administrator

Computer: FASSERVERBLADE3

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( Retrospect ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

+ Retrospect version 7.7.208

Launched at 3/22/2010 3:13 PM in user account

The following message appears in the Microsoft Application Event Viewer when I start Proactive Backup:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Retrospect

Event Category: None

Event ID: 2

Date: 3/22/2010

Time: 3:24:50 PM

User: FASSERVERBLADE3\Administrator

Computer: FASSERVERBLADE3

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( Retrospect ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Proactive Backup started.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I have restarted the server a couple of times.

This has happened to me a few times with this version. Never used to happen to me with version 7.6.

Sometimes, I get away with removing the retro.ini file in the Program Directory. But usually I have to bring back a backup copy of Config77.dat that lives in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect. That is not a pretty thing to do because all the old scheduled scripts that are in the backed up copy of Config77.dat start running when you open up the program. I always hit that DEFER button when I do this to keep them from running and give me time to go in and reconfigure the schedules.

This is why I backup that whole directory, religiously every day.

Just FYI, I have Retrospect where it can be used. I discovered that it has something to do with the Proactive Backup - which maybe should've been obvious to me from my previous details. We only have one proactive backup set up. All of the rest are scheduled. When I changed the one proactive backup that was setup & told it to not execute for the next two months, Retrospect didn't close when I told it to resume executions.