Unclear on full drive restore

fredct

Hello. I'm hoping someone can explain to me how we would recover from a disaster. We got Retrospect Express HD 2.5 with an Iomega backup drive. We've been using it successfully with a Windows XP laptop for a little while, but what I'm not clear on is how it would work if we wanted to restore a drive complete.

I see how to go through and restore certain items to a directory on a drive (by default a directory named 'Recovery1' or something like that), but what if I wanted to restore an entire drive?

Lets say that the main drive became corrupted, or it broke and we bought a new one. How can I go about using my backup to fully restore the drive to get back where I was? My main concern being... how do I boot from something where I can access the backup (perhaps on a network drive) yet still overwrite the internal drive?

One thought I had was you could dual partition the internal drive into a small partition and a larger partition. Then install Windows to the small partition, boot from it, reinstall retrospect on it, and then use retrospect to restore the backup to the large partition, then reboot from the new partition and be back to where I was.

But one coworker says he doesn't think Windows would boot right in the situation. I'm a pretty comfortable computer *user*, but I'm not highly technical in details of the OS and registries and restoring. Would this work? If not, what would?

Thanks,

Fred