SUSE 11.1 client?

fredtaub

A few questions:

(1) exactly what version of Retrospect 8 (8.x.x) (need this information for both the console and the engine)

(2) What version of Mac OS X on the machine running the Retrospect 8 engine?

(3) Is it possible that a firewall (hardware or software) is in place between the engine and the linux client? You need to be able to see port 497 on the client as open from the engine machine.

You might try turning off some firewalls, etc.

That's if you are telling Retrospect the client IP rather than having Retrospect discover the client by multicast.

Russ

The console is 8.1 (Build 626).

The engine is v8.1.626.1

Both the engine and the console are on Macs running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

The openSUSE client is on the same subnet as both the console and the engine. The console does not see it whether I use multicast or specify the IP number.

When I try:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 497

it just hangs. openSUSE indicates that 497 is set to LISTEN. Trying to figure out how to open 497 all the way.

The openSUSE client is on the same subnet as both the console and the engine. The console does not see it whether I use multicast or specify the IP number.

Ok, that simplifies things.

When I try:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 497

it just hangs. openSUSE indicates that 497 is set to LISTEN. Trying to figure out how to open 497 all the way.

Ok. Focus on that. You should get a connection. Of course, you do have the client running when you do that test, right?

10.6.2 is pretty restrictive with its firewalls. Make sure that they are off when you do the test. Might even need something odd like a sudo telnet.

Russ