Weird machine naming (bug?)

Well, today I have been reinstalling 7.6, many of my machines automatically connected up as they have the public.key in place, most have the same password.

I had assumed all was well, but whilst monitoring the progres I noticed a server called ****SuseServer was backing up the C: drive - a little odd, as it's a Suse Linux box!

Having looked into it, the static IP address it has is actually a completely different server called devsvr01. I'm a touch confused and concerned how when RS clients automatically add themselves to the client list, they can show the incorrect name.

DNS looks fine, so how can it add itself as an existing,yet incorrect server?

Tomorrow I'llbe checking through all my servers and clients to make sure they are who they say they are in RS.

Anyone else seen this?

Rich

Edited by Guest

Yes, we have seen it. The RS client assumes the name the computer has at the time of the (first) install. Renaming the computer automatically updates the DNS server, but not the RS client.

It seems as the RS client name is preserved over the re-install of the 7.6 client. I have NO idea where this name is stored.