bstaud

Retrospect vs Symantec Norton AntiVirus

This is probably more of a Symantec problem than Retrospect (7.7.208 on XP SP3), but they seem to be related. The machine runs for 3 or 4 days then freezes, with no messages in the Event Log. Nothing runs on it except FilemakerPro serving 4 users, and Retrospect, which backs up 5 machines. In TaskManager, I found that ccSvcHost.exe, part of Norton AntiVirus, accumulates Handles continuously, up to over 200,000 handles over four days, when the machine croaks. My theory is that it is scanning all the files Retrospect is backing up, but not letting go properly. The Synmantec forums are pretty know-nothing on this issue. So I uninstalled NAV and we are happy.

Can you not simply turn off te resident sheild (or whatever Symantec call it) on the Retrospect server? Then it shouldn't scan files being opened by RS.

We binned Symantec in favour of AVG Network Edition as it seemed to slow mahcines down too much.

Rich

We've been running Retrospect 7.6.x with Symantec Antivirus for years without any problems. We switched to McAfee recently due to a corporate decision and no problems with that, either.

I just let them run together. The backups runs practically 24/7, so it would be impossible to find a time when the backups never run.  ;-)