Sign in to follow this  
knicholls

7.6.x to 7.7 client upgrade breaks every time.

My installation is pretty vanilla, so I have to think I'm not the only person seeing this...

When I push out a client update from Retrospect Multi Server 7.7.208 to upgrade 7.6.x clients to 7.7, every Windows client comes back with "Sorry, couldn't connect to , error -525 (wrong client found at that address)."

The only solution seems to be uninstalling / reinstalling by hand.

Has anyone found a way around this?

I'm too scared to try it. 77 machines are likely to break.

If only you could select machines to upgrade by group, it would be a lot less risky.

One for the suggestion forum!

Rich

I believe the 7.7 client is different enough that it can't be pushed out. Or at least, my results were the same as yours and the only solution I found was to upgrade the client, then re-add those machines. Just one more problem in the latest upgrade mess. I could live with it if it was JUST this one problem, but the others are show stoppers.

Well, curiosity got the better of me. I run a remote upgrade, which seemed to work fine for the machines on my network...

However, of course, in true Retrospect fashion, it didn't quite work right, a number of machines that were upgraded failed to backup last night and even after restartign the RS service the RS Server still cannot connect to them.

I'll try a reboot next to see if this fixes the problem.. if not, I'm going to be xtra grumpy. I'll check through the logs (if there are any) to see if ANY machines that were upgraded now work!

UPDATE: USELESS PIECE OF SH&T SOFTWARE. I just checked our Domain controllers RS client GUI and it's saying "waiting for first access"!!

All the machines in grey were 'updated' and have now stopped working until I re-add, put into groups and then update all of my scripts.

e3dc82de.png

THIS ISN'T AN UPGRADE, THIS IS A CLEAN INSTALL WHERE YOU HAVE TO ADD SERVERS, UPDATE SCRIPTS, WASTE STORAGE SPACE (due to duplicating machine data) etc.

Who designed this rubbish? Facebook group now setup: EMC Retrospect Users

Rich

Edited by Guest

Well, decision made for me, I'm rolling back to RS 7.6 and will be asking for a refund for the upgrade from my supplier.

It's not a lot of money, but it's the principle of paying for something I can't use.

Richard

I've had the same issue when I go to upgrade my clients to 7.7. Connection problems only resolved by going to the client, uninstalling 7.6 and installing 7.7 and a reboot just to be safe. ugh!