Error -105 when trying to restore data from a DVD-R in version 7.7

Warspite

Like the title says I'm getting the error -105 unexpected end of data when trying to restore files from a DVD-R media. I'm using a HP DVD1040 connected to a USB enclosure and my OS is Windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

The optical drive I use actually comes from my old tower which was running Retrospect 7.0 under Windows XP home edition 32-bit.

Since I could not use the custom configuration with Retrospect 7.7 I had to use my old drive to be able to actually use the software.

When I first received this error I thought that my archives were corrupted or that the USB enclosure was creating a bug so I did a little test to check it out. I reconnected the USB enclosure on my old XP machine and tried to restore files from my DVD-R media and it worked as expected. I received no error message at all so I know the archives AND the enclosure works fine. Both machine use the same RDI file created under Windows XP and both use the same drive.

Is there a way to make Retrospect 7.7 restore my files from a DVD-R?? I'd like to use my new Windows 7 machine exclusively to restore and do backups but right now I have to work with 2 machines and 2 versions of the software to be able to do everything I was doing before with Retrospect 7.0

Thanks!

What happens if, using Retrospect 7.7, you create and then use a rebuilt catalog of the DVD-R archive?

Retrospect 7.7 makes changes to the catalogs of backup sets made with earlier versions of Retrospect, such that they can't be used with the earlier versions. Perhaps it needs to create one of these warmed-over catalogs for your older archive.

Russ

I have tried to rebuild the catalog files using the optical drive but I always get a message that the media content is corrupted. I'm unable to rebuild the catalog that way.

To make everything work I think I might need to restore those catalogue files on my old PC and then redo an archive using either DVD+R or DVD+R DL since I can restore files from both those media types. The biggest problem in all that is the time it will actually take to redo the archives.

It's is funny that only DVD+R and DVD+R DL seems to work because I was able to restore files from DVD-R using the same optical drive that I'm currently using. At that time I was using Retrospect 7.0 running under Windows XP 32-bit. I've never had any problems reading my archives. I've had problems since I migrated to Windows 7 and Retrospect 7.7

I'll probably have to restore GIGs worth of data on my old computer and redo the archives using DVD+R media. That way I'm sure it will all work. Now I only need loads of time to do all that :eyes:

Thanks for the help Russ. I really appreciate it!

Sylvain

I suspect that some change may have been made to the driver(s) that broke DVD-R. The Macintosh drivers went through this same mess a couple of years back, and, at some point, DVD-R capability reappeared for most drives. Perhaps the Windows version got some of the problematic Mac code (or vice versa).

Russ