Disk backup set missing free space

mbernhardt

Can someone explain to me why this is happening: I have a 1TB hard disk on which I have a backup set. Get Info on the drive shows approx 574 GB used and 426 GB free. But the backup set shows 318 GB used and 397GB free.

Is the difference due to overhead or something? That's 30% of the drive! Is there a more efficient way to backup to a hard drive? I'm not using compression but one of the drives I'm backing up has a ton of DV video and I'm not sure how compressible that is.

Were there already files on the 1TB hard disk drive *before* you created the media set?

If so, the media set would have been set to use the amount of free space on the disk at the time you created it (or if you told it to use less than 100% of the free space when you set it up.

If you've since freed up other space on the 1TB drive, you can edit the media set to have it use more of the space on the disk.

That's what I tried to do. I select the Backup set member, click on the edit icon, and drill down to the backup set "member" (the directory with the name of the backup set member), and tell it to use 100%, which it tells me is 931GB. Then I close the window. But it doesn't move the capacity of the backup set past 714 GB.

Yes I can. I think I'm going to solve it by just deleting the backup set, creating a new one and giving it the max possible. I just did that on the 2nd backup set and was able to give it "100%," which is 931 GB according to retrospect. I still wonder why it says this when the drive has more than that available.

Next week I'll replace the other backup set and I should be good to go.