Updates on bugs?

Hi Mayoff;

When are we going to see an update on progress with all the bugs in 7.7? I don't have a support agreement in place, so it seems I can't contact support directly with the issues I [Retrospect] have.

I'm not keen on paying for support for some software which clearly doesn't work properly from release either.

I cannot do client backups right now due to the proactive queue and matching problems I'm seeing.

Can you clarify if these are registered as bugs, what progress has been made and what timescales we're looking at for a patch/fix released?

Rich

Do any of you guys get better feedback on progress when you call Retrospect Support up with issues under a paid support agreement?

i.e. if you called up now and asked about any one of the bugs in 7.7, would you get a straight answer and an indication on when they plan the fix will be released?

I'm just wondering...

Rich

April?

Can you or one of your team explain how I can back up my network laptop machines in the meantime please?

I bought RS 7.7 in good faith and since upgrading I haven't been able to backup more than 4-6 clients a day on a [small] 50 client network, where I used to be able to back up 20-30.

There doesn't seem any urgency to release a fix for these fundermental problems...

If you guys can russle up a 'pre-release' build/patch for me to try, I'd be most greatful as I'm increasingly concerned about the number of unprotected machines on our network.

I know I whine a lot, but I'm sure you would to if you were responsible for data security and chose to use a product like RS...

Richard

Actually, some of us users appreciate you whining a lot. I have exactly the same issues and I basically had to tell all my customers that they are running completely unprotected for now, with no ETA for them to GET backed up. We've been using Retrospect for client backup for years and this is the first time I've felt like pulling the plug and moving to something else.

hahaha! We do appericiate your wining because we're having the same problems.

Today I gave up with 7.7, moved what I had to tape, deleted everything and went back to 7.6. Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight :-)

Hopefully nobody needs a file from the last 3 weeks because rebuilding anything is going to be a damn mess.

We have been waiting YEARS for Retro to go x64 and to be able to really make use of our backup server (two dual core xeon's/10gb ram/dedicated 143gb scsi drive for pagefile) with 4TB of external raided storage via sas and running storage server 2003 R2 x64. But I'm SO glad I didn't recommend to my boss that we move up to 7.7!

We are still getting along with 7.6 and we are going to stay here for as long as things are like this.

Thank you guys for all your feedback and whining, you have really helped out a lot of Retro users. Sorry you were the guinea pigs, but stick it out or move back to 7.6. Those of us that didn't upgrade - our thoughts are with those of you who did and are suffering for it. Good luck getting back to a stable backup solution.

Yeah, I got all excited when I saw 64bit and Windows 7 support, so we spent the money and upgraded since we've never had a problem with past upgrades. Big mistake. I just hope that other people read this message board before upgrading.

Our backup server is back on 7.6 and working it's ass off right now pulling in 10TB of data.

As you can see, everything started rebuilding at 11am today :-)

servers-cpu.cgi1.png

servers-cpu.cgi2.png

servers-disk.cgi.png

servers-network.cgi.png

I'm becoming increasingly tempted to roll back to 7.6 too, but I've made lot of changes to the configuration since moving to 7.7, not to mention loosing backup set data AND having to resync our remote DR repository.

Maybe we should start a facebook group and hope that RS get their finger out on this, rather than face a poor reputation that not confined to their own forum of users?

Rich

Edited by Guest

Right, having now just rebuilt RS in 7.6 backups are flying once again. It's just a shame I'm having to hammer all the clients to build up a new backup set.

I called up Europien support to retrieve my TS 7.6 serial number (although in the end the RS 7.5 one worked) - they, apparently have also not heard of this issue before.

The guy didn't have much interest in logging it either, which is maybe whyonly '20' or so people have seen this issue?

Rich

Hey Rich,

To answer your question: We have an ASM with EMC Retrospect. We do get straight-shooting, direct answers about whether the issues we are experiencing are known issues, or bugs, which is a huge help, not having to rely on (no offense to everyone) unreliable forum postings for reference.

But bottom line, bugs are bugs, and having an ASM doesn't seem to make them go away any faster. :)