Full Mac 10.6 restore

jwright

Ugh. I have a Mac 10.6 desktop with either a failing disk or a corrupted file system. Fortunately, I have a few days to prepare for recovery. Has any one done a full restore on a 10.6 system recently? Any suggestions?

I assume the process is basically a two-parter:

1. slap a new disk into the system, install 10.6 and the retrospect client.

2. go to the server, add the client and start the restore process.

Sound right? Anything to watch out for?

Also, on a side note, anyone want to comment on Mac disk tools? Is DiskWarrior any good?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Edited by Guest

I assume the process is basically a two-parter:

1. slap a new disk into the system, install 10.6 and the retrospect client.

2. go to the server, add the client and start the restore process.

Sound right?

Yep.

Anything to watch out for?

Yep. See the Snow Leopard compatibility statement, particularly the "known issues" section:

Retrospect Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

There also could be issues if you are dealing with FileVault encrypted directories.

Russ

Thanks for the fast replies. I'll take a look at the Snow Leopard doc this weekend. Thanks!

Robin, the external hdd options sounds good. Does that mean I should be able to use the client I install on the external hdd to point the full restore to the internal drive?

Yep, and that's actually a better process than the one you suggested because it isn't updating in place a live OS.

Russ

• 1 month later...

I thought I had this one resolved. But I have had to restore several times now. I am wondering if there is a step or two that I have missed. I don't get many opportunities to work with mac restores, so I am hoping for help with the details.

Here is the scenario:

A mac OS X 10.6 client had a bad disk.

Resolution:

1. Replaced the disk with identical manufacturer and model.

2. formatted and partitioned the disk using the mac OS X 10.6 disk.

3. Connected the system via firewire to another mac running the retrospect client and booted it as a firewire drive.

4. Restored all files and folders to the client firewire drive.

Issues:

We have done several full restores and have encountered different issues each time like permission problems, programs liks sftp reporting missing dlls and now the "grey screen of death" ("version mis-match between kernal and CPU") after and apple update.

It feels a lot like we are missing a critical step in the restore process. Suggestions?

I couldn't find a detailed document on mac restores.

Jeff

Here is the scenario:

A mac OS X 10.6 client had a bad disk.

Resolution:

1. Replaced the disk with identical manufacturer and model.

2. formatted and partitioned the disk using the mac OS X 10.6 disk.

3. Connected the system via firewire to another mac running the retrospect client and booted it as a firewire drive.

Ok. I haven't done a Mac restore from the Windows 7.7, but here are my thoughts and questions.

Understand that Mac 10.6 is different from 10.5.x. It's discussed in the Retrospect Snow Leopard compatibility Statement:

Retrospect Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

Items you don't mention that you might want to investigate:

(1) What version of Mac OS X on the "another mac running the retrospect client" you used in Step 3, above?

(2) What version of Retrospect client on the "another mac running the retrospect client" when you did this restore to the TDM Mac?

(3) What version of Mac OS X being restored on the TDM drive?

(4) Did you study the "Issues" in the compatibility note?

Russ

Exactly which "latest retro client"? Opinions differ as to what that means because various retro Mac clients are listed on the updates page.

I also assume that when you say:

3. Connected the system via firewire to another mac running the retrospect client and [color:red]booted[/color] it as a firewire drive.

you mean "mounted" it as a firewire drive, right? According to the steps you say you took, there wouldn't be a bootable Mac OS on that drive at that time.

Only possible issue I can see is the fact that the restore was done from a Mac OS 10.5.x (some unknown version) of a Mac OS 10.6.x (some unknown version) volume, using Retrospect Windows.

I'm not comfortable that Retrospect is yet able to do a bootable volume restore of Mac OS 10.6.x, with all the changes that brought, particularly if done from Retrospect Windows.

There are changes in Mac OS 10.6.x that aren't quite handled right by Retrospect.

I might suggest a different path of first doing an install of Mac OS 10.6.x on the blank volume, then bringing that through Software Update to current status, then doing a restore on top of that.

Russ

Russ:

Here is the scenario again, all the details included this time.

Here is the scenario:

A mac OS X 10.6.2 client (retro client 6.3.028) had a bad disk.

Resolution:

1. Replaced the disk with a new disk (identical manufacturer and model).

2. Formatted and partitioned the disk using the mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 disk.

3. Connected the system via firewire to a Mac OS X 10.5.8 Server running the retrospect client (6.3.028) and then booted the drive as a firewire drive mounted on the 10.5 Server.

I had pretty much the same thoughts and concerns that you do regarding the systems I used and the 10.6 support in retrospect, however given the lack of documentation on the process, I wanted to get some validation from others.

Next time I will try your suggestion of bringing the system up to current patches before I restore. Also, I will see if I can remove the 10.5.8 box from the process. Currently we don't have a spare 10.6.x server that we can use for this purpose.

Jeff