Retrospect Server 7.7 hangs when building snapshot of 2008 R2 remote server

today

As far as I can tell from my logs, this is related to the VSS writer problem. I'm getting Errors in my Application logs indicating a problem with the VSS System Writer and the VSS DHCP Jet Writer around the time that the snapshot building hangs.

It is now impossible for me to do 2008R2 backups. Any suggestions other than not doing snapshots?

I'm using 7.7.208 of the server and 7.7.106 of the client.

I have Retrospect server running on a different 2008R2 machine from the ones where it is failing. When it does local backups of this machine that it is running on, there are no complaints or hangs or eventlogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone found any more info on this issue?

I'm having a similar issue: retrospect hangs at "building snapshot" when backing up the system volume of some, but not all, of my 2008 R2 servers.

The backup hangs at what appears to be 100%. At the server being backed up, the process pcpds.exe runs at 50% cpu and memory use continues to climb but never any movement back at the retrospect server.

If I terminate the pcpds.exe process on the client, it restarts itself, and back at the retrospect server, the building snapshot process resumes and completes successfully.

Turning on or off 'Backup Open Files' has no effect so I don't think its a VSS issue.

If I turn off "Backup System State", the problem goes away.

Retrospect 7.7.208(64 bit) with driver/hotfix update 7.7.1.102(64 bit) running on W2K8 R2

Client 7.7.106 running on W2K8 R2