Multi Server 6.7 or 7.7 on x64 hardware/OS?

colletti

Hi All,

Our backup server is a Dell with two dual core cpu's, 10gb of ram, and a dedicated 143gb drive just for pagefile - running Windows 2003 Storage Server R2 SP2 x64.

Has anyone seen a performance gain jumping up to the 64 bit version of Retrospect 7.7? I'd like to see better performance for the fast hardware we have and have hoped it was due to the limitations of 6.7 being 32bit. Can anyone comment or confirm this? The forum seems to be littered with problems with 7.7 now days! I don't want to spend more money if we will get slower performance and bugs. Thanks!

In general, you won't see any big performance gain because this application is mostly network and disk bound. It might crash less because when those memory leaks happen and Retrospect consumes all memory and then dies, well, under x64, you'll be able to put in a bunch of more RAM in your server meaning the memory leaks will take much longer to crash. :angryred:

The polling of clients is still cripplingly slow and hasn't improved at all since version 5.0 of the product. It also still takes forever to take a snapshot. And it isn't any better at keeping the 1GB Ethernet pipe full (this is the clients' fault, though, not the server, and the clients haven't really been upgraded since 5.0 either, despite what the version numbers say).

I've found that 7.7 is not ready for prime time, and if you read this board, I'm not out of line with the super-majority opinion. Avoid it if you can.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I couldn't help but noticed this board is full of issues with 7.7. We have 6.7 running as well as can be expected so I think we will stay put for know.

Good luck to everyone that upgraded! I sure hope EMC will get everyone on 7.7 at least back to the performance they had with 6.7 - oh and please get the new iPhone app to work with Retrospect Windows servers please! It would be so much nicer to look down at an iPhone app rather than having to break out the laptop, get on the vpn, etc..

oh and please get the new iPhone app to work with Retrospect Windows servers please! It would be so much nicer to look down at an iPhone app rather than having to break out the laptop, get on the vpn, etc..
When I check out their app in the appstore they say Windows based Retrospect support is in the works. so it's only a matter of time.

Would like this also, but quite frankly they should -also- support Windows Mobile. I think there are more system engineers with that type of smartphone out there.

But hey, it's free! Can't really 'demand' it.