Problem with the custom configuration in Windows 7

Warspite

I have found a work-around in order to use Retrospect 7.7 since I still can't use the custom configuration option. I took the old RDI file created on my old Windows XP machine and I copied it to my new Windows 7 station. I then removed my optical drive from the XP machine and used a USB enclosure which was hooked to the new Win 7 machine. Retrospect was able to associate the RDI file with my old optical drive and I can now do and restore backups.

Interesting.

It would be an interesting experiment to see whether the "custom configuration" button in your Retrospect 7.7 running on Win 7 works with the old drive. That would provide valuable data as to whether the custom configuration button is completely broken in Retrospect 7.7, or whether it's just broken for some drives.

Be sure to save that working RDI file away somewhere so that you can restore it if things go badly with this test.

Russ

Ok, that's valuable information. Then there are two issues:

(1) with your new drive, the button appears to do nothing with no useful diagnostic information; and

(2) with your new drive, the button appears to do nothing.

I'd suggest contacting EMC support and filing a bug report so that it can be investigated (and, hopefully, fixed).

Contact EMC Retrospect Support

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Hello jpl1,

Have you checked compatibility?

Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

Thanks again,

John M.

Microsoft Windows Client Support

Just wanted to let all know that I had great experience with 7.7.325. (release notes indicates somebody worked on this issue !)

2 drives, both HL-DT-ST GH22NS50:

In the device status window, only one drive of the 2 appeared. The two drives appeared in Environment.

Out of the 2, only one did start custom configuration when I clicked the configure button. (the other one behaved just like with 7.7.208)

ONCE I configured the one that would start the configure process and went ahead with a DVD+DL AND exitted / re-opened retrospect, both drives appeared and showed as configured in Environment and Status window. Backup and Transfer worked !

I have not tried my HL-DT-ST GWA-4083B but I clicked configure for it and it did start the execution of custom configuration. Good sign !

Thanks a lot to all !