Constant 7.7 Crashes Using Server 2008 R2, Any thoughts?

cygnus

Hello,

I'm trying to bring up a new Retrospect 7.7 server on a Server 2008 R2 platform for use with a Dell Powervault 124T tape library.

It would intermittently work at first without crashing (maybe 3 or 4 times) and now it crashes without a doubt every time it tries to run a backup script that uses the tape library.

The library is a Retrospect supported device, it has the latest firmware from Dell as of 2/1 and the server has the most recent drivers from Dell as of 2/1.

Has anyone experienced issues like this?

The error specifically is as follows:

Assertion failure at devctrlr.cpp-631

I would be so thrilled if anyone has some input to help me out.

Thanks!

--Ryan

Thank you for your reply,

I'm using the Powervault 124T over SAS with a LTO4 Drive. It's supposedly supported, but the device compatibility page doesn't suggest OS support for Windows Server 2008 R2.

I'd prefer 2008R2 over a previous version because of the integrated iSCSI initiator.

--Ryan

ryany,

Have you tried Retrospect 7.7 build 208, which was released on Jan 26,2010?

The link to the Knowledgebase seems to be back up after being down for a few days. Build 208 release notes at http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=9729&r=0.2908747.

No mention of R2 there (I'm using R1 SP2) but some mention of tape drive, interface, and stability fixes.