very very slow backup

muttel

Next month? Can you be more explicit? Is "next month" May or June? Still pinning my hopes on recent http://www.twitter.com/emcretrospect feed posts (that it will be out last week... then this week).

We'll be holding the Retrospect 8.2 for Mac beta for about a week, so that we can include the ability to restore from 6.1 backup sets. (2:43 PM May 11th via Echofon)

Confused?

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams (English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMC has placed "Retrospect" in the "Too Hard" basket. EMC announced this weekend that Retrospect for Mac has been "acquired" by Sonic Solutions (Roxio). EMC not prepared to put the work in to get Retrospect working properly? That elusive release of a working version of Retrospect failed to materialise before announced dates *several* times. This forum is no longer the place to discuss this vapourware.

http://email.roxio.com/hostedemail/email.htm?h=8c835a4808f98d28f8ccdc451f34459a&CID=4067566171&ch=A86760B402A46AB1DA424EB98EFAB576

This forum is no longer the place to discuss this vapourware

I'm sorry, but who are you again to decide what's appropriate to discuss where?

Anyone with experiences or opinions on Sonic/Roxio should feel free to share them. Certainly Roxio has done well after acquiring Toast from Astarte. Getting away from Mega Corp EMC may prove to be the best possible thing for us, the users.

Dave

I'm not suggesting people can't continue to discuss Retrospect in this forum. I'm simply pointing out...

(A) now that Retrospect is no longer an EMC product EMC may remove the Retrospect forum at any time,

(B) Little point using this forum to lobby EMC to address bugs – EMC doesn't own Retrospect any more. I don't expect Sonic / Roxio will be very interested in looking at a forum provided by another vendor.

© We can't expect members of the development team to continue to provide hints about when we might (or might not) expect to see a new release (beta or other) here. Or can we?

now that Retrospect is no longer an EMC product EMC may remove the Retrospect forum at any time

Take a quick look at the Location field of your web browser. See the domain name of the machine hosting this bbs? Right, it's "dantz.com," the name of the original developer of Retrospect.

While EMC took ownership of this domain as part of their acquisition, It's unlikely they'll be holding onto it now that they've sold the intellectual property associated with the Retrospect software and brand.

Robin made clear in another thread:

Retro-talk and the forum will continue as it always has.

We can't expect members of the development team to continue to provide hints about when we might (or might not) expect to see a new release (beta or other) here. Or can we?

Members of the development team have never posted directly here, but Robin has acted as an official conduit. I don't know what to expect, but I'm certainly hoping it remains that way; given the open nature of communication (FaceBook, Twitter, etc) I doubt we'll suddenly be getting _less_ information now.

Dave

I'm not suggesting people can't continue to discuss Retrospect in this forum. I'm simply pointing out...

(A) now that Retrospect is no longer an EMC product EMC may remove the Retrospect forum at any time,

(B) Little point using this forum to lobby EMC to address bugs – EMC doesn't own Retrospect any more. I don't expect Sonic / Roxio will be very interested in looking at a forum provided by another vendor.

© We can't expect members of the development team to continue to provide hints about when we might (or might not) expect to see a new release (beta or other) here. Or can we?

(B)

I can safely say that we are still interested in user feedback.

©

Due to the "speed bump" we experienced last week, there has indeed been a bit of a delay on beta release. However, as stated by Robin here

http://forums.dantz.com/showpost.php?post/138727/

we are hoping to release it very soon.

Also, on the topic of the thread, expect to see some much better client performance.