Error -557 Transaction already complete

• 4 weeks later...

We are still experiencing this same error. Have been for a few months now.

Full Exchange backups work fine. Differential Backups of the Message Stores or individual Mailboxes result in "-557" errors like this:

- 5/6/2010 12:33:48 AM: Copying Storage Group 1 on mail01

Backup type: Differential

T-9: >>>HrESEBackupGetLogAndPatchFiles(0c8000232) -- Some log or patch files are missing.

Trouble reading files, error -557 ( transaction already complete)

OR

- 5/6/2010 12:34:15 AM: Copying Storage Group 2 on mail01

Backup type: Differential

Trouble reading files, error -557 ( transaction already complete)

We have Retrospect Multi-Server 7.7.325 (32-bit) with Driver Update and Hot Fix 7.7.3.102.

Exchange is running on Windows Server 2003 x64. It is Exchange Server 2007, and we have experienced these errors running with Exchange 2007 SP1 and SP2.

Help!

--Noel

Edited by Guest

I have just recently gotten Exchange mailbox backups and restores working seemlessly.

I have the same setup you do, see my post earlier in this thread.

I abandoned differential backup months ago, because I just wanted something to work. So now that Full Exchange backups, both storage group and brick-level are working, I will move forward with testing differential again. I probably won't get to this until mid- to late- May.

You may not want to hear this, but I have found the (roughly) $250 I spent on the ASM license for tech support and software upgrades was well worth the money. I plan to renew this when it is time. If I were you, I'd grab the ASM through a re-seller (I use CDW-G) and then call Retrospect tech support as often as you want until you iron out every issue and potential bug you see. That is what I did.

I will do what I can to test differential backups ASAP to see if I can be of any help to you and your situation. But don't hold your breath. :)

Edited by Guest
clarify current backup type for Exchange

Hey Noel,

Just tried differential backups the past two nights on the Exchange storage groups. Got the -557 error. I confirmed with tech support that this is a known bug and there is not a known workaround.

I myself am going to stick with normal backups, which, as I stated before, just began working as expected with the latest driver/hotfix update.

Edited by Guest

Thanks a bunch, Mike!

I have also found that you can back up the individual "Storage Group" containers in Retrospect, but there is no way to restore them.... ARGH!

Guess I'm off to do what it sounds like you're doing: Just get full backups of the individual mailboxes. *sigh* What a pain - with over 120GB of mail this is going to start burning through a lot of tapes for us.

Once again, much appreciated!

--Noel

• 2 months later...

Hello

we have the same problem with error 557.

Retro 7.7.325 backing up an Exchange 2007 on Server 2008.

So now I have found out where the Problem is.

It seems there is an limitation on the Outlook-Rules.

I have reduced the number of rules in Outlook. Unfortunately I have not paid attention to the number of working rules.

I hope this info could help you too.

Cheers

Wolfgang

• 2 years later...

We are also seeing Trouble reading files, error -557 ( transaction already complete) on 4 mailboxes on Exchange 2007

OS Retrospect is running on: Windows Server 2008 x64 R2

Retrospect Version: Multi Server version 7.7.620

Client:7.7.114

We also seeing Trouble reading files, error -523 ( service transaction error) on one mailbox.

Please provide solution.

Many Thanks