Ok...how long do we have to wait?

scsctech

since i am in the process of setting up a new server (Xserve Quad-Core, 2,93GHz) with raid (48TB) and tape storage (overland 2000e), i would be eager to directly give 8.2 a try. it would be specially interesting, since the other backup i run uses the same hardware, but 8.1.something.

is there any place i can download that software already?

7 May Echofon announced on the #emcretrospect twitter feed that Retrospect 8.1 beta would be available "next week". This would provide us with Retrospect 8.1 beta some time during the week commencing 10 May. Our excitement was premature. 11 May Echofron (who is Echofron?) announced on the #emcretrospect twitter feed that they were "holding the Retrospect 8.2 for Mac beta for about a week, so that we can include the ability to restore from 6.1 backup sets".

We users assumed a few things with the release of Retrospect. We assumed that it would be able to read backup sets from older versions of Retrospect. Because it doesn't wouldn't it be more appropriate to release the product with an entirely new name? Really, there is very little in common with earlier version.

We also assumed that a released product should have a user manual – it didn't. Instead we got a couple of instructional videos. This isn't satisfactory for an enterprise (or even small-business product).

We also assumed that it would backup network clients. Backing up using Retrospect clients is so slow it is unusable.

I assumed purchasing Retrospect 8 with "Annual Software Maintenance (ASM)" will provide me with regular access to software updates to iron out any small bugs. I purchased Retrospect 8 (with ASM) August 2009. Ripped off!

These expectations aren't unreasonable. Every other developer I know of follows these conventions.

EMC regularly over-promises and under-delivers. Practically vapourware (software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed)! Or another way of putting it, it is a bit like a car sales man selling us a car "Oh you actually want it to come with wheels!" And, "You actually want it drive it down the road? Phffff!"

The latest contribution to the #emcretrosepct feed, 12 May: "@ozphotosguy The Retrospect 8.2 for Mac beta will be open to all. It contains many improvements we'd like to get into people's hands ASAP."

http://twitter.com/emcretrospect

EMC if you want to develop a good reputation, under-promise and over-deliver.

Edited by Guest

Late to the party here, but same story as many I'm sure (longtime user, just upgraded to 8.x upon purchase of first Intel Mac, can't believe no support for optical media at the moment).

Two questions (apologies if covered elsewhere):

1) Is support for optical media coming in 8.2?

2) I'm (gasp) not a Twitter user, is there a way to get notified about the open beta in some other fashion? I think I'm subsribed to some e-mail list that alerted me to the last 8.x update, will it go out on that?

(I'm subscribed to this thread, too, assume it will get some play here ;) ).

• 3 months later...

8.2 is still unchanged on this point. Take the time to read the Roxio Retrospect 8.2 Read Me:

Known issues with this release

Optical device support is deactivated in this release. Optical device support will be reactivated in a future release. To enable optical device support, understanding that the user interface for interacting with optical devices may not be polished or complete, please refer to the Retrospect Knowledgebase. http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=9720&p=2

Enjoy. Don't be impatient - Retrospect 8 was only announced almost two years ago.

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

First they wanted more info and wrote this:

Thank you for contacting Retrospect Technical Support. After reading over your issue I understand that you are having issues with Retrospect backing up to your optical drive. In order to troubleshoot this problem for you I will need you to provide me with some additional information. Are you receiving any error messages, and if so what are they? If you could take screen shots and send them to me that would be very helpful. Also what type of DVD drive do you have, and is it recognized by other applications? Is Retrospect the only application that isn't seeing your optical drive.

Then they wrote this:

You can check our hardware compatibility list to see if your devices on our list. It can be found at www.retrospect.com/hardware.

Also in some rare cases, you may want to create a custom configuration that overrides Retrospect's built-in recognition. You should use this procedure only if you are experiencing difficulty backing up to a CD/DVD drive or you are not getting the performance you feel the drive is capable of. While customization may improve communication between Retrospect and the drive, it may not.

In the navigation bar, click Configure>Devices. Click the Environment tab, select the CD/DVD drive you want to reconfigure, then click the Configure CD/DVD button in the toolbar. In the dialog that appears, click Configure, then follow the on-screen prompts to create a custom configuration for the drive.

You can do the same procedure on a mac by going to the Storage devices tab highlighting the device then control clicking and choose create cd configuration

Now, if I was working in technical support I would have known that the bloody thing doesn't work with optical drives because it has been turned off in the program! Could have saved me a lot of time and hassle!!!

I understand that I can't back up to DVD optical drives.

because it has been turned off in the program

It's unclear what you are reporting. It's true there is no mention in the quoted email about enabling optical device support in Retrospect's default install configuration, but Russ provided that information in this thread months ago.

- Is your drive on the compatibility list?

- Did you enable device support via the link Russ provided?

- Were you receiving any errors?

- Did you create a custom configuration?

You might want to create a new Topic with adequate information about your issue; this thread is pretty old and has covered quite a few topics.