Ok...how long do we have to wait?

scsctech

I agree with the topic starter! When will the next update be available? A few months ago, the answer was 'at the beginning of 2010'...

That answer is subject to many interpretations. One interpretation is "any time before the end of 2010".

At the beginning of December 2009, the information was "Right after the new year." However, no specific year was indicated:

Next update right after the new year.

At the end of last week, this information was updated (consistently) to be "at least a month out": Next update at least a month out

To calibrate your expectations, note that, over five months ago, the Retrospect product manager indicated that the Users Guide manual, which still does not exist, was to come "in about a month":

Where the @#%& is my Retrospect 8 User's Guide?

So, one month in EMC time means "over five months."

Short answer, no way to tell. When (if) the update comes, it will come. Progress takes time. Patience is a virtue.

Let us hope that this additional time is being used for thorough testing (and regression testing).

Russ

While the next update contains a LOT of bug fixes, it is also a 64 bit version. Getting 64 bit in the product and tested takes time. The good news is that we are continuing to fix bugs. I don't have a date for you, but it should be out this quarter. I don't want to give a date, because it could always change.

Ok, I have to say that I am sick of waiting for the new version. Instead of releasing a sub-release with a lot of fixed bugs, new functions get implemented (It's not that I wouldn't want the 64 bit support) and therefore the risk of new bugs and the time-span for the bug-fixing rises even more.

I don't even test this software any further because the bug that won't allow to copy data with ACLs from one server/client to an other server/client is essential to us. The thing that makes me really mad is, that the Retrospect and Apple-support told me to buy Retro 8 because the duplication of ACLs on Intel-machines with Retro 6 is buggy because of Rosetta. So we bought Retrospect 8 Multi Server 7 months ago. My boss asks me weekly when will we finally use Retro 8 and I always have to say, that the ACL bug isn't fixed yet and a new version with a fix is in the pipe, but I don't know when it will be available, because every estimated date will be replaced by a new estimated date. :angryred:

Edited by Guest

thanks Robin for at least acknowledging the thread.

I would agree that I would forgo the 64 bit version for a speedy release of a less-buggy 32 bit version. I suppose since you are already on the 64 bit bandwagon there is no getting off and we will have to wait patiently.

Edited by Guest

Agree with all above. I would really, really focus on fixing bugs, who cares about 64-bit when it's, almost, doesn't work?Out with updates for the bugs THEN do the 64-bit.

I really have no need for a half-buggy 64-bit version, thats plain stupid and suicidal. Its infected as it is already...

To be fair, there may be some bugs which are more readily resolved in 64-bit rather than patching up 32-bit. It may be that some of the problems we've faced have been due to patchy code that was meant to make a 32-bit application deal with a 64-bit environment, or trying to incorporate features and capabilities into 32-bit which would be inherent in 64-bit.

Consider the inability to address more than about 3.6 GB of RAM in a 32-bit OS; if we really need to access more RAM, then one could either apply patches that run behind the scenes and sort of fake it, or one could just develop a 64-bit OS. I have to wonder whether EMC just found themselves facing an accumulation of bugs which presented similar options, and decided it was time to commit to 64-bit.

• 1 month later...

Just to add another voice to the request (in case public feedback is a consideration in this process), I would very much prefer a regular series of critical bug fixes instead of a mega-pack of fixes released who knows when.

It builds confidence in a product when you have regular, measurable improvements. It lets you know that there is someone awake at the wheel over there.

You are making the assumption that "this quarter" meant "this quarter year." It could mean "this quarter century."

Russ

Well the great news is that we're already into the tenth year of this quarter century, so that only means 15 more to go, at most! Gotta look at silver linings, right?

• 1 month later...
Just to add another voice to the request (in case public feedback is a consideration in this process), I would very much prefer a regular series of critical bug fixes instead of a mega-pack of fixes released who knows when.

It builds confidence in a product when you have regular, measurable improvements. It lets you know that there is someone awake at the wheel over there.

I agree. I cannot believe how ridiculously slow updates are being rolled out to a product that is CLEARLY still "public beta". We get to struggle and fumble through too many quirks, bugs, and oddities to count and haven't had an update in OVER FIVE MONTHS. Good grief. I sure am glad that we Mac users (the original market for Retrospect) had to wait for ages to get a new version while Windows users got constant updates, and now we're still waiting for a fully functional new version.

I'm with Heath-- take these bazillion forum posts, most of which are bug reports, and implement small fixes as soon as you can. We haven't had anything updated or fixed in almost half a year, people!! Absolutely unbelievable.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aw, man...you got me all excited like the release was finally available! Heck, I don't even care about "ALL" of the issues being fixed....just a bunch of the most frustrating ones. I also wish we could see releases for 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, and so on...small updates to fix small amounts of issues at a time. At least that's progress. I'd rather have that than waiting 6 months for giant releases (which, frankly, kinda scare me that something new will be broken).

Crossing my fingers...