Sony DRU-500A DVD writer

awnews

Sony just announced their new multi-format DVD writer (DVD-RW and DVD+RW, DVD-R & DVD+R, CD-R, CD-RW. Doesn't do the little used DVD-RAM format from Panasonic), the DRU-500A [int] and DRX-500UL (ext) this week.

http://www.storagebysony.com/cd-rw/product.asp?id=192

I realize that it's too new to be on the RP6.0 supported HW list but I'd like to suggest that it be considered. I've been holding off buying a DVD writer due to the format-wars but I'm thinking about buying this multi-format drive and would like to be able to use it for Retro backups.

• 3 weeks later...

Amen. I just purchases the DRU-500A, and bought Retrospect Professional 6 with the intention of writing onto this device.

PLEASE bump this device to the top of your "support" list, as it's going to be popular (due to +R, -R agnostics) for backup users like myself.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3 months later...

This is easy to get working - as it is with all DVD drives - without any new Retrospect drivers.

First, start Retrospect, and go to Configure/Devices/Environment. Highlight your DVDRW drive, right-click and select 'Ignore ID'. Now exit Retrospect. Retrospect will no longer try to use that drive with its own drivers.

It's best to restart your system now, as Retrospect scanning for devices may have set your DVDRW software in a way which conflicts with other OS drivers.

Now, install and use the drive-letter software (for accessing your DVD as a big floppy-drive) which came with your drive. Personally, I highly recommend Nero InCD (www.ahead.de).

Now restart Retrospect, and set your backup to use 'Removable Media' instead of CD/DVD. Run your backup!

Just a note: Retrospect won't see the removable media until you've formatted it using the drive-letter software, but you can even do this during the backup, so no problem. Usually it's just right-click on the drive or InCD system-tray icon, and select format. As soon as it's formatted, Retrospect should automatically detect it and proceed.

Regards,

Scott.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah - but the InCD only works with (+-)RW media, not with -R which is by far the cheapest.

However the last driver update supports the drive. THe only with is that they make DVD-R's faster as those currently only product 47MB/min whereas the DVD+R or DVD+RW make 200+ MB/min (quite a difference). However the drive is supported and seems to work fine for the first several 100GB of backup :-)

Otto.

Archived