Problem with Auto Configuration Tool

Hello!

I have bought a new Blu-Ray Recorder Plextor PX-B940SA.

My system: Windows Vista with Service Pack 2

Retrospect Professional version 7.7.208

My problem is that I can't use the Auto Configuration Tool of Retrospect to configure my bluray device, both not available for dvd-media and bluray-media.

I have attached a screenshoot of the Storage Devices of Retrospect 7.7 under Screenshoot.

When I'm using Retrospect Professional 7.6, I can configure my device only for dvd-media and cd-media.

Why does this function doesn't exist in version 7.7?

Thank you for your help.

With Retrospect Professional 7.6, I did the following steps to configure my blu-ray drive for dvd-media:

1.) Open Preferences - Devices. Right click on "Configure Optical Device" (see picture)

2.) Clicked on "Configure" (see picture)

3.) Got this message , clicked on "No"

4.) Then this message

5.) After that, I opened the status tab of the Storage Devices, but my device is not listed here although I got the message in point 3 and 4 that the drive was successfully configured. (see picture)

Why does Retrospect didn't save the configuration and therefore I'm not able to perform a backup with my bluray drive?

Thank you for your help.

I have bought a new Blu-Ray Recorder Plextor PX-B940SA.

Why does this function doesn't exist in version 7.7?

Why does Retrospect didn't save the configuration and therefore I'm not able to perform a backup with my bluray drive?

Because you didn't buy a supported device. Here is the list of supported Blu-Ray devices:

Retrospect supported Blu-Ray devices

The manual configuration tool sometimes works on unsupported devices, sometimes doesn't. There is no guarantee. If it does work, great. If it doesn't, you need to get a supported device.

Russ

Because you didn't buy a supported device. Here is the list of supported Blu-Ray devices:

Retrospect supported Blu-Ray devices

The manual configuration tool sometimes works on unsupported devices, sometimes doesn't. There is no guarantee. If it does work, great. If it doesn't, you need to get a supported device.

Russ

Have you read my second post, there I have successfully configured my bluray drive with dvd+rw media. The only problem is that retrospect 7.6 doesn't save the configuration.

As far as I know, the Auto Configuration Tool is developed for devices retrospect doesn't have built-in support, so normally every optical device, which follows the standards of the dvd format, can be configured for use with retrospect in combination with the manual configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, but with a DVD-RW drive. I ask Retrospect 7.7 to configure it, and, WITHOUT COMPLAINT OR EXPLANATION, Retrospect does nothing. You're saying this is a feature, not a bug? The documentation says that you can configure a unsupported drive; it doesn't say "you can configure an unsupported drive if we don't feel like allowing you to do so". I can't find anything in the knowledge base about Retro refusing to configure. I would contact tech support, but am I correct that tech support won't talk to you without a contract even if you just bought the product today? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I would contact tech support, but am I correct that tech support won't talk to you without a contract even if you just bought the product today?

Yes, that's right. You only get support when you have an extra support contract with retrospect, but maybe you get support within 30 days after purchase.

I have now updated to retrospect 7.7.325 (German Version) and also can't use the "Optical Device Configuration Tool" with my blu-ray recorder.

Is the configuration tool not compatible with blu-ray recorders?