What is the "new folder" option for?

jwright

Yes. For example, create a folder named "XP Clients", Linux Clients, Mac Leopard Clients, Mac Snow Leopard Clients, etc., drop the clients into the appropriate folder, use the folder as a source.

Simplifies applying selector rules and schedules to groups of clients, etc. See page 188, right-hand column, of the Retrospect 7.5/7.6 for Windows Users Guide

Russ

Thanks. I tried finding info in the user guide first, but got flustered.

Shouldn't it be named "group"? Minor gripe.

I created a new folder and dragged a computer into the folder. Now I can't get it out of the folder and back into the list. I suspect I will have to "forget" it and then add it back. That is a problem because the host is not available at normal hours.

Any idea how to move the system out of the folder and back into the list with the rest of my systems?

Jeff

I think the terminology is historical because of Retrospect's ancestry on the Mac. I agree with you that "Group" would be better.

No, I don't have a clue.

However, one fix would be to restore your preferences (config) file from an earlier backup (well, restore it somewhere, then quit Retrospect, then move the config file into place, restart). Sigh.

Tried moments ago, and it seems you can drag the client to the window frame itself, and it will move to the top level. Just like moving files.

Russ

Edited by Guest

I can live with the Mac explanation.

It looks like you can easily move machines between "folders" (groups), but you can't put it back into the list that is not part of a group. That is irritating. Must be a bug. I wonder if it was that way prior to 7.7.

You had to be laughing when you suggested restoring an older config file. :-) That is quickly becoming the number one solution to a problem. I cringe at the though of that since I have made several other changes already. At this point I think I will just go ahead and write a vbscript to make a daily copy of the config directory.

Jeff

You had to be laughing when you suggested restoring an older config file. :-) That is quickly becoming the number one solution to a problem. I cringe at the though of that since I have made several other changes already. At this point I think I will just go ahead and write a vbscript to make a daily copy of the config directory.

No, I was sighing and crying.

Sigh.

It's truly sad. At this point, I've accepted the workarounds as normal procedure. The software won't get fixed, it seems.

Russ