Backup not backing up any files

zikoziko

I have a backup script. It includes some schedules for backing up files on multiple computers on a network.

To simplify things, here's the deal:

Friday: Recycle backup TO Media "Week 4"

Saturday to Thursday: Normal backup TO Media "Week 4"

So far, the recycle backup backs up EVERY file on the selected volumes (filtered by the created selector). BUT, each normal backup (ie Saturday to Thursday) has been saying "No files need to be copied" (in the report), and obviously nothing has been getting backed up with the normal backups. All of the settings are the defaults APART from Verification is off.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks.

Check your selector for the incremental backups. Every time I have seen this issue, it has been the result of an improperly configured selector. Selectors are tricky. You need to make sure that the selection criteria themselves are correct, and then you need to make sure they've been linked correctly.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure that unrelated criteria are linked by "or." For example, how do you select a folder whose name is "Applications" AND whose name is "System Folder?" It's impossible. But it makes much more sense to select a folder whose name is "Applications" OR whose name is "System Folder."

Another good thing to remember is to "check" your Selector. Do this by, in your Selector edit window, selecting "Check Selector" from the Selector menu. Choose a volume and Retrospect will apply your Selector to that volume in real-time. This will save you having to wait until a backup to see if it's been set up correctly.

Yup, darned selector had a small, but evidently significant mistake in it. After the first recycle backup I added another entry to the selector. It was meant to be !!exclude!! files ending with .rm, but it was mistakingly put in the include. It might be useful for a wee message to be put up warning of this, cause it was ONLY trying to backup .rm's, then again maybe I should be more careful with my selectors.

Cheers.

Archived