7.7 crashes when moving tapes to/from mail slots

Antti

I have Retrospect 7.7 running on W2k8R2. Backups have so far run fine, but I'm having some trouble with our FSC tape library. I have set the tape library to use mail slots. Retro will not check mail slots (import/export slots) when it needs new media and that's mentioned in the documentation, too. It means I have to load new media from the mail slots to other slots using Retrospect's GUI. I can do that successfully one tape at a time. If I select all three tapes in the mail slots and drag them over to the library slots, Retro crashes during the operation every time. It moves two tapes, stops for a while, and then it just vanishes without any error messages. Any better ways to get the tapes loaded using mail slots?

Hmm, that system doesn't seem to be in the Device Support Information/Database.

No, it is not. According to that list I should stick to SCSI or change manufacturer. LT60's changer is AFAIK the same as in Fujitsu TX48 (qualified) but SAS connected. All major sofware vendors seem to support it, hopefully Retrospect can do that, too.

Did you ever had it working in another version of Retrospect?

No, I have not used it before. The only thing that does not work is what I described in the first post. I believe that the same problem could be there with the qualified products, too.

specially SAS is something they don't seem to 'do' a lot. Why this is the case one can only speculate...

Part of the time delay for supporting devices is that the drive vendor must send us the hardware to be tested. Once we get the hardware, we test and add support for that device.

Do Fujitsu make there own libraries? I do not know if Eternus (if we talk tape products) is there own product. FSC libraries was all OEM if I recall correct.

I know that there diskstorage Eternus products is Fujitsus own product.

And do Fujitsu not work mostly with EMC Networker as a OEM solution on backup?

Anyway Retrospect should have better support for SAS libraries as it´s nearly impossible to buy a scsi library today.

Regards

Robert

Fujitsu Siemens is no more, it's now Fujitsu. At least some Fibrecat brand name products are now Eternus. Our Eternus LT60 is qualified by Retrospect under the old name and different connector (SCSI/FC).

I think there might be a bug and it could very well be that it's there also for SCSI and FC connected devices. Also, many tape libraries are just rebranded and have the same insides, so it's likely that this doesn't affect only Fujitsus.

How to report bugs (I don't want to call support, unless I have to. Still no email support even though we have support contract...)?

Part of the time delay for supporting devices is that the drive vendor must send us the hardware to be tested. Once we get the hardware, we test and add support for that device.

Are you going to get this one for your testing?