Can't add favorite folders

MJH

Hmmm... this is starting to sound like some of the other "can't add client" issues.

Although I hate to suggest this because of the pain, it would be an interesting experiment to try this same thing with a clean config80.dat file.

Suggested approach would be:

(1) stop the engine and quit the console (so nothing has the config80.dat file open)

(2) move the config80.dat file to the desktop on the engine computer (so that it can't be found, and so it can be moved back if this is not the solution)

(3) restart engine and console.

(4) add single server license code, then add server client license code before adding clients

(5) add clients, including the server client

(6) try a simple backup of the server client

Seems that the config80.dat file can get into a confused mode about what clients have been added and can be added. Perhaps that will be fixed later this year...

Russ

Okay, I tried that unlimited client trial you suggested – stopped the engine, moved the .dat & .bak file from /Library/ApplicationSupport/Retrospect/, relaunched the engine, entered the trial code – the problem's still there. So it's our system then...

I've contacted EMC support about this; they've now been examining the logs I sent them and the only thing they can suggest is try to troubleshoot why I'm getting so many of those 519 errors:

Tech Note 415 troubleshooting error 519

Edited by Guest

Does the unlimited client trial also say "multi server"?

And, I think I'm missing this above -- how did you *add* the clients? By browsing? Or by manually entering the host name/static IP address of your other server?

And is this a non-English version of Server OS that's causing this to happen? (That would be something I couldn't try to reproduce, but wouldn't surprise me if that's an issue...)

Also, for the server "client" -- is the firewall on? If you turn the firewall *off* (temporarily) on the server client, does the server client then reappear for browsing (after you quit/relaunch the console?)

Does the unlimited client trial also say "multi server"?

And, I think I'm missing this above -- how did you *add* the clients? By browsing? Or by manually entering the host name/static IP address of your other server?

And is this a non-English version of Server OS that's causing this to happen? (That would be something I couldn't try to reproduce, but wouldn't surprise me if that's an issue...)

Also, for the server "client" -- is the firewall on? If you turn the firewall *off* (temporarily) on the server client, does the server client then reappear for browsing (after you quit/relaunch the console?)

1. Yep

2. By entering ip a address directly – the browser can't find any of the clients.

3. It's a Mac OS X 10-client server 10.5.8 English as the default language (as far as I know, there's no country specific versions of Mac OS X).

4. It has no firewall and no, relauch doesn't help.

So, if I were to try to reproduce this, I'd:

1) Install the engine on a 10.5.8 *server* machine (the "local") machine

2) Add a 2nd 10.5.8 *server* as a source (a "client" machine)

3) After the 2nd server is added as a source -- try to browse the 2nd server to add a Favorite Folder.

And, for you, this step 3 fails *every time*?

Is that about it?

(Oh, and just to rule something out -- on this 2nd server -- can you run "Disk Utility" and "Verify Disk" just to make sure there are no problems with the volume first?)

So, if I were to try to reproduce this, I'd:

1) Install the engine on a 10.5.8 *server* machine (the "local") machine

2) Add a 2nd 10.5.8 *server* as a source (a "client" machine)

3) After the 2nd server is added as a source -- try to browse the 2nd server to add a Favorite Folder.

And, for you, this step 3 fails *every time*?

Is that about it?

(Oh, and just to rule something out -- on this 2nd server -- can you run "Disk Utility" and "Verify Disk" just to make sure there are no problems with the volume first?)

That's right.

And no, there's no problems with the disk.

Btw I installed that evaluation version of unlimited client version of Retrospect on my own workstation (OSX 10.6.2) and I get the same result from that install; I can add that one server as a client but can't select volumes and specify favorites.

So it seems that the problem is in that server client rather than the server. Just can't figure out what it could be; I tried to change that client's ethernet cable port in the switch but it didn't help.

Hard to believe it could be some ther third party software either, since the client runs only OSX services (AFP, MySQL and Web).

Umm… I tried to add the sharepoint – on that particular server client I'm having problems with – as a share at sources window; I can browse the volume (=that same server client volume I've tried to add without success), add it to scripts as a source and back it up (with dozens of "can't read, error -1002 (unknown Mac OS error) MapError: Unknown Mac eror -5000").

So what's the deal here: Why would I need to pay for an additional server client license if it's possible (*possible* indeed!) to back it up that way?

I tried to add the sharepoint ... as a share at sources window;

"the sharepoint?"

OS X Server allows the administrator to define folders on the server which the network user will transparently see as shares.

What [color:purple]exactly[/color] are you having Retrospect add as a Source?

I can browse the volume, ... add it to scripts as a source and back it up (with dozens of "can't read, error -1002 (unknown Mac OS error) MapError: Unknown Mac eror -5000").

Well, yeah, if you've mounted "Macintosh HD" as your Source in Retrospect using an administrator login/password, do you really expect to have read access to files owned by root?

So, I had 5 minutes and tried to reproduce this. Short answer -- I could not.

I have two 10.5.8 servers here -- one with no retrospect on it at all (neither client nor server) -- this is a PPC xServe.

The other server is an intel xserve running the 6.3.028 client. (This client is already being used successfully for daily backups of two favorite folders).

I installed the *engine* software (626) on the PPC xserve using a "Single Server + one additional client pack" code somebody passed me to test this.

I then added my xserve client by hostname.

I did nothing else at this point.

I *could* browse the hard disk of the client server without issue.

So, FWIW, I can *not* reproduce this problem with two 10.5.8 xserves (though my "engine" is running on the PPC xserve and yours is not.) And you had an *extra* server client pack license that I did not -- which *COULD* have something to do with this. I can't verify that (but, again, if you want to send me your codes in a private message, I'll be happy to try your codes...)

the only "bug" I noticed about the whole process was that the

"Server Client Pack" license "used" did not change from 0/1 to "1/1" until after I quit and relaunched the console.

But this relaunch did not affect the ability to browse the 10.5.8 server client.

Sorry -- this probably doesn't help *your* problem, does it?

you had an *extra* server client pack license that I did not -- which *COULD* have something to do with this

No, he also tested with the trial Multi-Server license, which gives unlimited server clients without the additional "pack."

I know I'm stumped. Which could mean that it's something trivial that we're overlooking...

:)

Dave

I tested this.

You tested what?

My comment was based on the available (and the missing) information that has come (or not yet come) from the original poster. There's no doubt that a Source with otherwise impeccable inode ownership access could generate permission errors caused by ACL's.

From the provided information I inferred (guessed!) that the root of the OS X server volume was mounted and used as a Source, which would lead to all sorts of permission issues.

Going back over the thread (which, btw, is about a client issue; all this share-point backup stuff is getting off topic) the report is "dozens of" errors, which is probably a lot less then what I'd anticipate seeing if my assumptions (guesses!) about the steps being taken were correct.

So ok, no idea what the Source was, no idea whether the -5000 errors were ACL or inode related, and most relevantly no idea why an OS X Server client with a valid license isn't accessible for backups.