Can't add favorite folders

MJH

I've added a client but can't specify favorite folders for it (it doesn't have that grey triangle where you get to choose the volumes and browse them in the sources window.

I've done the adding of that client the same way as all the other clients and it's of the same version as the rest (6.3.027 , the server is 8.1 build 626). The only difference between this one and the others is that this is a OS X server version.

Ideas anyone?

Yep, I think that Dave has it pegged. You need a "Client Server license" or Retrospect Multi-Server to back up a Mac OS X server client. See the product descriptions:

New! EMC® Retrospect® for Mac 8

I would call it a UI bug that the interface doesn't tell you that this is the problem, but just refuses to work. I guess that we should be thankful that this doesn't cause a crash.

Russ

Ok. Now I've bought a EMC Retrospect Server Client MAC 8.0 with ASM and added it to the Retrospect at preferences/Licenses. I still can't get the server client working properly; no triangle and browse button greyed out.

So what have I done wrong? Bought a wrong kind of a client license perhaps? The license I added this server client to is a "EMC RETROSPECT SINGLE SERVER 20 CLIENTS UAC MAC 8.0 ESD"

P.S. Where am I supposed to call to recieve phone support? I live in Finland.

I've done the adding of that client the same way as all the other clients and it's of the same version as the rest (6.3.027 , the server is 8.1 build 626).

Sure that's not a typo in the client version? Current Retrospect 8 client is 6.3.028:

Retrospect 8 updates

Of course, there are no release notes or Read Me for the client, so who knows what it fixes...

Robin or EMC customer support will have to answer those licensing questions.

Contact EMC support

Russ

So what have I done wrong? Bought a wrong kind of a client license perhaps?

Yep.

"Single Server" allows the Retrospect Engine to run on an OS X Server machine (or a Desktop machine) and connect to non-server clients.

"Multi Server" allows the Retrospect Engine to run on a Server or Desktop and connect to server and non-server clients.

So what have I done wrong? Bought a wrong kind of a client license perhaps?

Yep.

Um, nope, not so sure about that... which is why I suggested contacting EMC customer service, etc.

"Single Server" allows the Retrospect Engine to run on an OS X Server machine (or a Desktop machine) and connect to non-server clients.

"Multi Server" allows the Retrospect Engine to run on a Server or Desktop and connect to server and non-server clients.

Well, yes, but did you actually [color:red]READ[/color] the product brochure at the link I provided:

New! EMC® Retrospect® for Mac 8

Retrospect for Macintosh Editions

Retrospect 8 Multi Server Unlimited Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses and branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting more than one server. Retrospect Multi Server runs on a Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server computer and provides licenses to protect an unlimited number of networked Mac, Windows, and Linux servers, desktops, and notebooks. Annual Support and Maintenance is included with this product.

Retrospect 8 Single Server Unlimited Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses, branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting one server. Retrospect Single Server runs on a Mac OS X server and provides licenses to protect an unlimited number of networked Mac, Windows, and Linux desktops and notebooks. [color:red]A server client license can be purchased to protect an additional networked Mac, Windows, or Linux server.[/color] Annual Support and Maintenance is included with this product.

Retrospect 8 Single Server 20 Clients is designed for small and midsize businesses, branch offices, and departments in large organizations protecting one server. Retrospect Single Server runs on a Mac OS X server and provides licenses to protect up to 20 networked Mac, Windows, and Linux desktops and notebooks. [color:red]A server client license can be purchased to protect an additional networked Mac, Windows, or Linux server.[/color]

The problem may be that you are in the Pacific Time Zone, Dave, sprawled on the beach in Oakland.

I should have provided appropriate text in red for you. If I could make it flash, I would. Sorry.

Russ

Seems like they have no clue about this at EMC either; recieved a mail from their support. They tell me to remove and add the client again. If this doesn't work, they suggest removing config80.dat&bak files <- no effect (plus it would erase all the other settings as well).

Seems like they have no clue about this at EMC either; recieved a mail from their support. They tell me to remove and add the client again. If this doesn't work, they suggest removing config80.dat&bak files <- no effect (plus it would erase all the other settings as well).

You should at least *try* this -- you don't have to trash your config80.dat file. Just stop the engine and move the files to the desktop, then start the engine again to generate a clean config80.dat file.

It would be worth seeing if there's a difference in this with a *clean* config80.dat file. That might rule out the *server* end of things being the problem.

You can always put your other one back (stop the engine before doing this...)

FWIW...

The problem may be that you are in the Pacific Time Zone, Dave, sprawled on the beach in Oakland.

You should check in with the satellite photos on Google Maps; while Oakland has waterfront property along the Oakland/Alameda Estuary and a small part of the San Francisco Bay, there are few beaches within the city limits (maybe about a hundred feet worth at the new Middle Harbor Shore Park).

[color:red]The license I added this server client to is a "EMC RETROSPECT SINGLE SERVER 20 CLIENTS UAC MAC 8.0 ESD"[/color]

Jeez lighten up; so I misunderstood exactly what he had; he didn't say "the license I added this server client [color:purple]license[/color] to..." I'm alway willing to be corrected, but slapping is generally unnecessary to get my attention.

At least today everything will change with the release of the Apple Tablet; can you feel it in the air?

I was saying that to the ORIGINAL POSTER!

Hmmmm... that's not how it appeared to me:

[color:red]In response to[/color] [color:orange]rhwalker[/color] (who is in the Central Time Zone) <<---===

At this point you should have re-run Disk Warrior until you got a clean bill of health. Did you?

Damn that Central time zone; FusionBB shows [color:red]your[/color] posting time as half an hour later then my computer's clock!

[color:red]Didn't I ask that question in red? Maybe next time I'll use all caps.[/color]

I then uninstalled retro on the server machine and threw out the relevant files in the Library, restarted the server machine and reinstalled retrospect...

I once again uninstalled retrospect and threw out the relevant library files, restarted and reinstalled.

An uninstall, restart and re-install resolved that problem then...

Did you also stand in a bucket and slaughter a goat? Drastic measures such as restarting, and even more drastic measures such as uninstalling/reinstalling have their place only after trying less intrusive things.

(note to Russ; the possible MGBFS were on the client, not the Engine host machine)

Whatever.

I keep getting confused; aren't _you_ supposed to be the good cop?

I try, but I've been called a sociopath in these forums. Sorry for the misunderstanding. No slapping intended - I'm very gentle, never slap.

Russ

Seems like they have no clue about this at EMC either; recieved a mail from their support. They tell me to remove and add the client again. If this doesn't work' date=' they suggest removing config80.dat&bak files <- no effect (plus it would erase all the other settings as well).[/quote']

You should at least *try* this -- you don't have to trash your config80.dat file. Just stop the engine and move the files to the desktop, then start the engine again to generate a clean config80.dat file.

It would be worth seeing if there's a difference in this with a *clean* config80.dat file. That might rule out the *server* end of things being the problem.

You can always put your other one back (stop the engine before doing this...)

FWIW...

I *have* tried that. It *does not help*.

Yea, but understand that the EMC support group is between a rock and a hard place. Retrospect 8 was released prematurely, with inadequate testing and Software QC/QA, perhaps with inadequate (or no) design review, has many serious bugs and no manual. It's not the support group's fault.

For all we know, the programmer(s) don't have a clue either.

The support group is just trying to do the best they can in a bad situation. In those cases for some users for whom they are able to develop a temporary workaround, it's a win. At some point, the support burden will become too high, and perhaps a manual, and a better software development / release process, will become a priority.

Russ

Yes --- the License should say "Multi Server" (and then the code #) if you can add OSX Server *as a client*.

If it doesn't say that, then this might be the problem...

Not so sure about that. See the marketing blurb in the Retrospect 8 product brochure, whose excerpt is posted above, about being able to purchase a single "Server client license" for an additional server. No slapping intended, but I put that text in red just for Dave's benefit because he is in the Pacific Time Zone.

Perhaps the programmers don't talk to the marketing people. I've seen that before.

Russ

We know what the available options are.

And we suspect we know what the customer has. But since his wording was not completely precise and unambiguous (especially given the English language translations he has to suffer through) I'd just like to see it in pictures.

And here I thought lawyers were sticklers for details...

Dave

Ok, so here's some screenshots.

The licenses:

http://www.a-konsultit.fi/~matti/misc/lic.jpg

^Those should equal what I've purchased:

EMC RETROSPECT SINGLE SERVER 20 CLIENTS UAC MAC 8.0 ESD & EMC Retrospect Server Client MAC 8.0 with ASM

Plus here's a screenshot of the client window with the 2 servers I want to back up. The local machine (X) has been working properly all the time. The problematic one is named "Y".

http://www.a-konsultit.fi/~matti/misc/client.jpg

The screenshots provide some information and bring up additional questions.

First I'd ask what window is the "client.jpg" file a picture of? Assuming it's the Sources list, I can't find any column that lists "local" and "client" that way. You already used pixel blurring to obscure information you don't want out in the cloud; is there some other reason you've cropped this screen grab so drastically?

Another point to make is that the "browse" button will always be grey for a Client container, since you can only browse individual volumes an a client. Of course the lack of a disclosure triangle makes that impossible, but I wanted to remove one red herring from the reportage.

I'm also curious as to what the "N/A" License item is ("1/2 Used") but since I don't have any server client logged in it may be related.

But we do see that one of your Server Licenses is being used, suggesting that the Client is successfully added. If you Remove the Client from the Sources list, does the License window change to show "0/2 Used"?

At this point we can't rule out the possibility that your license situation is wonked. The easiest way to test this (without having to deal with EMC Customer Support) is to use the automated system to get a Multi-Server Trial License code. Replace the license you have with this one (which won't require any additional client server support) and see if there is any change in behavior.

If a Multi-Server License still doesn't allow access to the OS X Server client we at least know it's something specific to your setup.

The "client.jpg" shows that "local/client" display in the sources if you select "connection" to display.

From what I can tell, everything is a "client" except the "local" machine running the engine...

To me, this smells like a program bug and, unfortunately, it seems like none of us here have "single server" *and* the additional "server client pack" licenses to try to replicate...

If you want to message me off-line with the S/Ns they gave you, I'd be happy to try to replicate here (as I have a couple of OSX servers I back up...) I already have a "multi server" code, so I have *zero* interest in retaining your code.

But this sounds (to me) like something you need to talk to EMC support about as it sounds like it might not be working properly.

The only thing that keeps my patented Gut Feeling from twitching harder is the fact that he's seeing the [color:purple]_exact same behavior_[/color] after he added the "Server Client Pack" that he was seeing with just the application's license code.

Given that, it's hard to imagine that it's _just_ the supplemental code that's wonky. But stranger things have happened (to all of us) with R8.

Dave