copy function deletes files like the archive function

guyvdb

Yes, they "should". But they "don't".

This resulted in dataloss.

Retrospect 8 is in its infancy, and is new code. The program seems to have been released before it was ready, with inadequate testing. It's only been out for a year now, and there is still no manual, and many bugs. Anyone who puts it into production now is an "early adopter", and should expect less-than-optimal results (e.g., crashing, data loss, doesn't perform as expected). You should test thoroughly on an isolated testbed system before deployment to be sure that it works in your situation. That includes "bare metal restores" to the range of client hardware and software that you have, and test restores to ensure that your data is being backed up properly. That's standard procedure before deploying ANY backup solution into production.

And there is no way to go back to 6.1 since osx 10.6.2 does not support 6.1 anymore. Is this correct ?

Correct. See the Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

If you need to retrieve from Rerospect 6.1 backup sets, you need to run Retrospect 6.1 on an older machine running Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard, restore from there locally, then transfer over the network to the Snow Leopard machine. Retrospect 8 cannot restore data that was backed up by any prior version of Retrospect. Why would anyone expect a backup program to be able to restore old data that was backed up by an earlier version of the program? To me, that seems to be the whole point of a backup program, but what do I know.

Russ

That's standard procedure before deploying ANY backup solution into production.

Heck, that's responsible IT procedure before deploying ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE OF ANY KIND!

I sure as shooting wouldn't update a studio full of production artists to a new version of (insert Adobe creative application of your choice) before putting it through its paces unless I were willing to risk increasing my lead times and pissing off my customers.

Yes, they "should". But they "don't".

This resulted in dataloss.

It's also possible that you might have an incorrect setting. Oh, and did you read that program message about Are you sure you want to erase the entire source before copying? (logged as a UI bug but "technically correct" - see linked thread).

Did you read the EULA?

6. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL EMC BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR INDIRECT DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, AND THE LIKE) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR THE DOCUMENTATION EVEN IF EMC KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. EMC'S TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE SOFTWARE, OR THE DOCUMENTATION, WHETHER BASED IN TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE WILL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF FEES PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE. THESE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY WILL BE GIVEN FULL EFFECT EVEN IF THE WARRANTY PROVIDED IN SECTION 5 ARE DEEMED INEFFECTIVE.

Am I the only one who reads these things?

Russ