Scanning incomplete, error -1010 ( API request bad)

StephenOrd

Hi,

I've suddenly started getting these errors on all backups, one day they were all working fine, the next they all fail with this error. I'm not aware of anything having changed on my system, any ideas where I can start looking for the problem?

+ Normal backup using Weekly NAS at 18/01/2010 18:38

To Backup Set Weekly HDD...

- 18/01/2010 18:38:19: Copying Windows7 (C:)

Scanning incomplete, error -1010 ( API request bad)

Windows 7, Retrospect Professional Version 7.7.203 (64-bit), Driver update and Hotfix 7.7.1.102 (64-bit)

Steve

No obvious errors in the event log.

Ran a CHKDSK on reboot - all fine with no errors.

The anti-virus suggestion made me think, that is the only program on my PC which I have set to automatically update without my intervention so:

Tried disabling Norton Anti-virus 2010 auto-protect - still failed.

Removed Norton altogther and re-booted, Retropect now working OK again, no more errors!!

I shall do some more testing, including re-installing Norton Anti-virus 2010 and see what happens, must be an update that breaks Retrospect?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that I have the identical problem. I am running Retrospect Pro 7.7.208 (64 bit) on a Windows 7 machine. It had been working perfectly for weeks (months?) and then all of the sudden I started getting these errors: "Scanning incomplete, error -1010 ( API request bad)". I tried Repairing Catalogs, making new catalogs, CHKDSK, turning off Norton Antivirus, all with no success. I have not uninstalled NAV. I would like some followup to see if there is any other insight into this problem or must I uninstall NAV

Hi,

I've done a lot of testing since my last post, but as above I have found I can strip out Norton Anti-virus and the problem goes away. Put Norton back any anything from 2-3 days later the error returns, that's even when you run a full Liveupdate, it will still work until something happens a matter of days later. More that that I have been unable to discover, so at the moment I am running on AVG free anti-virus just to see how that performs, so far, no more problems.

Steve

I am also just getting this error. I turned off Norton real time protect of my drive I am trying to back up, and it seems to work. Otherwise I have the scan enabled.

I have been getting a rash of errors on Windows 7. I have to open up the log and make sure it is backing it up. Locked range errors, permission errors. I never got this on 7.6 and XP.

I recommended everyone send to Symantec the issue so we can get this one fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Same problem here:

- error 1010 (API request bad)

- in Windows System Event Log I find the warning "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur." with Source: symsnap and Event Data: \Device\SymantecSnapshot\Volume1

- If I disable Norton Real Time Protection the backup runs fine, no error

I use Retrospect Multiserver 7.6.123 and Norton Internet Security 2010.

Anybody has found a solution yet? I'll contact Norton's technical support.

Edited by Guest